wheel change

Practice makes perfect!

Technique is everything, the key is keep the tire bead in the drop center of the rim. Easier said than done, I know. Especially with a super heavy duty tube, it can be a bear. Lubing the bead and powdering the tube do help. But not only did you save a few bucks, you are gonna be happy to have had the practice when you need to do it on the side of the trail sometime.

Peter

interesting to hear how much trouble people have with tires.. My first time installing tires (S12 front and rear) was extremely easy. Used two tire irons and was done in probably 30 minutes (not including taking the rims off of the bike). However, I am convinced it was due to an added step. Before I attempted to put the new tires on, I put them in the shower with the hot water wide open for about 15 minutes while I watched TV and drank a couple three beers.

Reminds me of putting old style clinchers on a really old Indian (1916). Had some "Non-Skid" OEM tires of similar vintage. To get them on the rim, you heated them up with a torch until they started smoking! Then they slid right on. Not much traction, but they never wore out!

Those were the days... Isn't technology wonderful?

Making or buying a tire board helps too....a piece of plywood with a rod sticking up through the center works. This is key when I am changing a Foam / Mousse Tube. Once I get the tire bead broke off of the rim on both sides, I will spray a little soapy water between the bead and the tire. While all this is going on, the new tire is sitting out in the sun or next to a stove, warming up. I will then take the warm tire, spray more soapy water on the bead and toss some baby powder on the tube. I will put one side of the tire on the rim, insert the tube and start working the last side of the tire down. Once it is on, I will center the valve stem and air it up and seat the beads. Then I will let the air out, to relax the tube inside the tire and air it back up. I will usually put 40 or so pounds in it and watch it for a few minutes. If it isn't leaking, I will set the tire pressure and stick it back on the bike. Even if you have changed a lot of tires, there are times you find yourself yelling and cussing it.