Raise The Forx! It works.

Made my debut run with raised forx (+-8mm) yesterday. Turning felt so much easier that it felt like I was back on my mountain bike again, especially on the single track.

Anybody hesitating to do this should go right ahead... the mod took 5 minutes with a torque wrench.

Surprisingly, headshake at high speed seemed to reduce, which I dont understand as the fork angle increases!

Anyhoo....well pleased and thanks to *mike68* for the torque settings !!

------------------

The Missile

'99 WR400F

Glad things are working out for you. What did you do for gearing changes?

I posted almost the same thing check out "Very Sweet" subject line.

*Mike68* No gearing changes yet, suits me fine. If I still have turn problems maybe I'll try the wheelbase shrinking mod.

later

------------------

The Missile

'99 WR400F

Airbox Lid - gone

Throttle Stop - shorty!

Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries

Street Legal

I think props go to yamakazi on the torq settings.

Where are those torque settings? I could use them for tomorrow!

Hey Missle, have you set the rear sag yet?

Triple clamp specs are 14lb/ft for the lowers and 17lb/ft for the uppers.

------------------

MX Tuner

Raised my tubes last night 8mm, and really felt a nice difference in the way the bike turned today. Again, great advice from this board! Thanks! :)

It was a nightmare...but well worth it. I wanted to raise my forks in the tripple clamps as well. I didn't have a torque wrench so off to Sears at 8:30 on a Fri night. loosened the bolts, raised the forks...no problem. Set the wrench to 14lbs and started turning. I'm waiting and waiting for the little click sound when all of a sudden...crack! the bolt snapped. I got out the drill and drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the stub. Home Depot the next morning for an extractor. No replacement bolts (metric at home depot)...went to the dealer...have to order. Went to the Kawasucky dealership...they had them. home by one...back to sears for a different torque wrench. Eureka! Went to the track the next day. Man what a difference. Bike corners great! I just took my seat apart and trimmed some of the foam down and recovered it. I wish I would have done this sooner as I'm short (5'5") and this is definately giving me more control and confidence. Thanks Missle!

Michael

Wow what kind of torque wrench did you use. It only took me about 5 minutes with my Sears T wrench.

I raised mine 12mm in the clamps and noticed a very welcome increase in the bike's desire to manuever in tight spots. Yesterday, I spent the better part of the day navigating through single track trails with lots of trees at moderate speeds and was thoroughly enjoying the ease with which the bike responded to my steering input. I even made it through the entire day without a crash (means I was riding too slow). Highly recommended.

Jerry in Deltona, FL

------------------

'01 WR426 - throttle stop mod, air box lid removed, grey wire cut, Renthal "Jimmy Button" high bar, Michelin S12 tires = lots of fun!

Did you guys have to adjust anything else to compensate for this change? Clickers? sag?

Jason

Jason...no adjustments necessary. I did tighten up everything two clicks though.

Michael