tire and sprocket kit

I ordered Maxxis M7305 IT 110/100x18 rear tire for $60.00.

Is that a good all-around tire?

Is it hard to get the old tire off and put the new tire on?

I wonder if I should get new sprockets and chain!

The chain and sprockets have about 1000 miles on them.

The cheapest set is RK sprocket sprocket and chain kit which is $140 but the gearing is 14/50 for faster acceleration. Stock is 14/49.

Should I buy this kit?

Tire changes are a tough without the proper tools (beer) and a good friend who knows some tricks looking over your shoulder. I have run the RK its good spring the extra for o-ring. I have a 2000 wr400 and run 13-50 its great for the tight stuff! Just one more option to confuse you. Let us know what you go with. If it is stock now and you like I wouldn't change from the 14-50. 1000 miles its probably time.

The 110/100 size tyre might be a bit narrow and round. I run the 110's on the 250.

You will notice a difference if you went back to say a 120/90 tyre.

Rear tyres are hard to get on, the stiff carcass is a bitch to stretch. Pintching the tube is a big problem also. Rimlocks are a pain in the ass if they don't go in properly due to the stiff carcass of the tyre. I usually pay a tyre place to put my rear tyres on. They have machines to hold the rim which makes life sooo much easier. The bigger the tyre levers you have, the better. Oh yeah, another pair of hands makes life easier too.

I would only get sprockets and chain if you really need too. You won't really tell the difference between 1 tooth on the back, well not enough to justify a buying new one!

Stock gearing on a WR is 14/50. Someone may have put the 49 on the rear at one time. 14/49 would give you a a pretty decent top end but it would put you in first most of the time on the tight and technical stuff.

I run 13/50 for the wilds of Western Washington and I love it but for dessert and GP's the 15T goes up front :applause:

Rear tyres are hard to get on, the stiff carcass is a bitch to stretch. Pintching the tube is a big problem also. Rimlocks are a pain in the ass if they don't go in properly due to the stiff carcass of the tyre. I usually pay a tyre place to put my rear tyres on. They have machines to hold the rim which makes life sooo much easier. The bigger the tyre levers you have, the better. Oh yeah, another pair of hands makes life easier too.

Matty, well said. I used a 5-gallon bucket (Sprocket side down) on the last tire change and made things much easier. Good tire tools are a must. An extra hand doesn't hurt either...

Marcus

i just bought a remould tyre(retread) and have learnt a little trick for making your rimlock easier to get in and out.

changinging tyres is always a bugger( a mate told he heard of a guy changing one in 54 seconds) it normally takes me over half an hour plus lots of sweat and swearing.

putting the vavle and rimlock back in has always been a pain in the arse and i leanrned that once you have one bead or side back on the rim use a trye lever to lift the bead over the other side of the rim to open the tyre up more and it gives you more room for your fingers to actaully get that bloody rimlock back, same with valve.

its the first time i've got a tyre back on without skinning my fingers.

good luck.

do you get your underwear from k-mart?

Yeah that kinda top end would scare the $hit outta me too. I do 15/50 for the GP's with road course included and it's fine on a straight stretch of asphalt but It can lead to a yard sale in the desert :bonk: Too much first gear in the single track too. :applause:

To each his own ?

Yeah that kinda top end would scare the $hit outta me too. I do 15/50 for the GP's with road course included and it's fine on a straight stretch of asphalt but It can lead to a yard sale in the desert :bonk: Too much first gear in the single track too. :applause:

To each his own ?

c'mon don,even marcus got that one!