HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theclone

*Attention YZ400 owners!*

65 posts in this topic

I just got off the phone with a guy selling his 400. I have a pretty good feeling about buying it. Can anyone give me some details about the 400? How do you like it? Is there anything I should watch out for? Also, does anyone have the specs? I want to make sure I will be making the right decision.

:applause:

I just got off the phone with a guy selling his 400. I have a pretty good feeling about buying it. Can anyone give me some details about the 400? How do you like it? Is there anything I should watch out for? Also, does anyone have the specs? I want to make sure I will be making the right decision.

:applause:[/quote

The first year was '98, second year for 400 was 99. Only two years for 400, in 2000 the 426 was offered. '99 model was refined version of 98; carb glitches were fixed for 99, suspension was really good in '99, jetting on lean side from factory. Engine one of most reliable of all the 4-stroke Yamahas.

Of course watch out for bike that hasn't been maintained properly. Ask about maintenance, what was routinely done, any problems, etc.

I think the '99 yz 400 is the best bargain of all used dirt bikes. Yamaha sold a ton of them. It is worth waiting for that one with 20 hours on it. They are out there for the same price as a clapped out race bike. My 99 was my favorite of all my yzf's.

Love my '99. I've been offered great deals on 426's and 450's and turned them down because I like my 99 better.Now an '06 450, might be a different story.

They're a little heavier than a 426, and they're down maybe 2 hp. And of course, everything, suspension, etc., is of a that much older design. But they are nevertheless a lot of motorcycle for what you can get them for, even though they are very slightly less reliable than a concrete slab. :applause:

I have a 99 YZ400F that I use for trail rides and hare scrambles. Only problem I had was with the clutch. I went through 2 sets of plates in 3 races. It was probably my fault. The inner hub was notched a little, which caused the plates to hang. I should have replaced it with the first set of plates.

Motor and everything else has been rock solid.

Make sure oil has been changed frequently and normal maint has been performed. What is the guy asking for the bike? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Good Luck

Don

You're going to pay top dollar for anything right now as it's peak desert season... just for comparison, I picked up a '98 YZ400 about 3 months ago for $2100 and an '02 YZ426 on the same day for $2900 (the 426 was a steal!).

I'm sure you'd be happy with that '99 though (can't help ya with the factory specs), it's a heckuva lot cleaner than my '98.

I loved my 99 for the one month that I owned it before some lowlife decided he needed it more than I did. I would definately recomend it, the pic looks good, but anyone can polish up a bike to make it look good. Hope it works out for you. I paid 2200 for mine in 2003. Hope this helps.

Josh

KBB lists trade in as $1775 and retail as $2630 for that bike. If I were in the market for one I would shoot for somewhere between those two numbers, leaning towards trade in value if I was able.

Had my 99 for two years now. Paid 2500, put 03 450 cam in it for the automatic comp. release, great upgrade. Sold it tis month when my 06 450 came in for 2,000 to a friend. Was offerd more, but made a promise. Very reliable, loved it.

Have a 99 WR and I love it. Ride mostly desert, mine has an aoversized tank, baja designs street legal kit and yes I do have a current Calif. plate on the bike. Its in great condition and for the money, I wouldnt buy any other bike out there. I paid 3200.00 for it but the plate and the baja kit add alot to the cost. The price seems a tad high but if the milage is low I would go for it..

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna head down and take a look at the bike right now. If everything goes well, I'll be coming home with a bike! :applause:

I paid 2700 for mine. It was hardly used and the guy I bought it from is a bigger neat freak than I am. I love the bike. Ive added the 03 cam, sidewinder chain and sprockets, Power pegz, and a WR stator and flywheel, headlight, tailight and some new graphics. New tires are going on come spring. You will love that bike!

I picked up a 98 yz400 on ebay about 3 months ago paid $1,450 it came with loads of extras and aftermarket parts .I am trying to get use to the 4 stroke weight and power but cant seem to feel at home on this bike .I dont know if its the weight or the power or just me ? I grew up riding 2 strokes but I thought I would give the 4 strokes a try .I may be selling this bike and going back to a yz250 2 stroke if I cant feel at home on it soon . Has anyone else felt this way ???? Does anyone own both the yz250 2 stroke and the yz400f ???

You're going to pay top dollar for anything right now as it's peak desert season... just for comparison, I picked up a '98 YZ400 about 3 months ago for $2100 and an '02 YZ426 on the same day for $2900 (the 426 was a steal!).

I'm sure you'd be happy with that '99 though (can't help ya with the factory specs), it's a heckuva lot cleaner than my '98.

Holy crap you payed $2900 for a 426? I didnt pay the much for my '03