How do you guys clean your O-Ring chain?

I throw mine in a bath with two dykes and a load of baby oil ...always comes out clean :applause:

ride, wash, run up and down the street doing wheelies to piss off neighbors and warm up chain, spray with power slide chain lube. 3800 miles on stock chain and sprockets, and no real sign of wear. I have a spare chain and sprockets on the shelf if they go bad and I will treat that set the same.:applause: I would rather ride or do other maintenance on my bike then spend time tooth brushing a chain clean. :bonk:

O-ring chains should be cleaned with petroleum (wd-40 eats o-rings!!!) and lubed with chainspray. Voila!

O-ring chains should be cleaned with petroleum (wd-40 eats o-rings!!!) and lubed with chainspray. Voila!

Come on mate get fair dinkum, petroleum stuff's um faster.

There's no need for chain lube anyway all it does is attract dust and it turns into grinding paste.

I like this thread, I might start a "which is the best oil thread" :applause:

Okay, I'll bite............

These chain lube threads always seem to get a plethora of contrasting answers so I'll add mine. I pressure wash my bikes everytime with Simple green, I'll gently spray off any major gunk off the chain. I'll completely dry the chain with a rag, sometimes with compressed air. NEVER have the engine on and have the bike in gear while drying the chain, my wife told me that one of her co-workers husbands cut off his fingers while cleaning his chain just last year... It's serious stuff.... I used to do it everytime, it's stupid, don't do it....

Anyway, once the chain is dry I'll take a wire brush to the chain to clean it up. Then, I apply Maxima "Chainwax".... I've been using the product for years, on all of my WRs.. It doesn't attract dirt or dust, it protects the chain from rust and lubes the chain. Some people say that Chainwax isn't a legitimate product.. It's been very good to me.....

NEVER have the engine on and have the bike in gear while drying the chain, my wife told me that one of her co-workers husbands cut off his fingers while cleaning his chain just last year... It's serious stuff.... I used to do it everytime, it's stupid, don't do it....

Thats just asking to loose a finger! :applause:

I know a few people that have lost fingers, the most recently, one mate was polishing his rim and the rag got caught in the chain. One second his finger was there, next it was gone!

I like chain wax much better than lube. It stays on the chain!

I prefer the non-WD40 method of cleaning. I use a hose and simple green with a soft brush. Then ride it and spray with white lithium to keep corrosion off. I like what WD40 does generally to metal parts, but have always heard that it's bad for rubber. I give everyone here credit for not using carb cleaner or brake cleaner! We are all winners in my book for that fact alone! I use a bike at work and we don't do nothin' to the chain and it lasts forever. The chain is the real hero these days, not how we try to take care of it in my opinion. Any o-ring chain today is nearly indestructable.

I soak my chain in Premium unleaded gasoline for about 30 minutes.

I scrub it with an old brush

Then I wash it off with a hose

Then I dry it off with paper towels.

Then I soak it in motor oil.

Then I spray Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube On It and let it dry. :applause:

I use diesel instead of gas. Not as flamable and it does have some lubrication properties. I have had really good luck with the Motorex chain lube in the red can. Everything else seems to atract sand and dirt.

I throw mine in a bath with two dykes and a load of baby oil ...always comes out clean :applause:

What? No Midget for good measure? If the lolly-pop guild finds out your gonna have trouble.

The back of most boxes gives cleaning recommendations

silicon lube is the best for in-between waxings

silicon lube is the best for in-between waxings
For chains too.... :applause:
Actually you should not put any "lube" on an O ring chain. The O rings seal in the lube on the pins. Anything you put on the outside of the chain cannot get into the pins and just causes sand and grit to build up on the outside where it causes more rapid sproket wear. Just wash it off and spray it with WD40 keep it from rusting.

I 2nd that. :applause:

I have used wd 40 on everything since i can remember learning how to use a spray can until a mate of mine with an obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder told me about INOX ( australian made). its designed for marine use .

can says

contains no silicon, acid, or acid forming ingredients, petroleum distilates or kerosines

non corrosive, non conductive, non static, non staining, doesnt dry out or gum up, doest wash off with water

check it out at www.inox-mx3.com

and its cheaper than wd 40

it says you can use it on anything from bulldozers to guns, aeroplanes, printers and in all domestic situations.

dont know what the wife will think but at least she wont rust.

Ummm yeah, but it also says:

"CAUTION: INOX MAY EFFECT SOME NATURAL RUBBER PRODUCTS WITH CONTINUAL LONG TERM USE"

The "O" rings are rubber - this would be a problem ?

Cheers

I think Lanox (a new product better for this purpose than Inox by same manufacturer), would be a good solution to chain lubrication and miscellanious other uses. It is designed to be 'rubber' friendly.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/inox.htm

:excuseme: