HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whitcher

XR650L left case damage

4 posts in this topic

The BRP fell over in the driveway - shifter punched a nice hole in the left hand case. Better in the driveway than way out there on a trail somewhere - all the oil ran out of course.

The shifter also kind of crimped the flashing inside the flywheel so it hits the stator. I don't think it bent the crank,that thing is stout.

Anyone have experience with the sheet metal lining on the flywheel? Can I flatten it out somehow? A new FW is over $400.

Thing came apart very easily - $120 for the case is par for the course.

If the bike it this vulnerable to a static fall I'm less eager about taking it on the trail now. Seems like more of a street bike than a dirt bike to me.

Its probably the hard concrete that made it such a bad deal. I have dumped mine down dirt roads at 60 mph a couple of times with no case damage. I would say take the case and clean it up inside and out an JB weld it or take it to a welder who can do aluminum welding and fix it that way. I wouldnt shell out the big bucks just yet on a new case. Plus you will feel bad all over again when it falls on the new case. I have seen guys fix many a case with JB Weld though. Sorry dont know about the FW. By all means though, dont throw away the case. It can be fixed!! :applause:

Hayden

94 L

95 KLX 650

01 Dakar

03 1100s

Hayden,

I'd have to agree, it was the concrete. I dropped it a few times on the trail, never had the problem. I'm not sure I'm willing to trust JB weld here, as there is a 2" hole. You could glue the pieces back in but it might be too weak to take another hit. Also the cover is pretty thin - might distort when welded. All the engine stuff is pretty precise in terms of clearances. It would probably work, but not really ideal. It is a 2003 bike and probably deserves better.

Thanks

Hello there,sorry for the late reply but I was out for xmas.Anyway I had the same problem twice.Both times I had it welded with aluminum.So I made a cover in stainless steel wich covers the lower half of the case.Its prety simple,just cut a circular shape of about 5 1/2" with an inside hole of 2 1/2" then cut it in half.You'll have to bend it a llittle until theres no gaps.Glue it with epoxy and there you go.