HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikie

WR400 Harescramble Gearing

8 posts in this topic

RIght now I'm stock. I notice 1st is rather low and the gap to second is fairly large IMO. I have a new setup ready to go on, but its stock upfront and -1 out back (49). Now this could do one of two things; 1) 1st will be taller & great for trails 2) 1st will be too tall for very technical hills/tight trails.

Should I,

a) Go stock up front 49 out back in hopes of getting 1st to be taller.

:applause: Use the 49 and go down one/two up front.

c) Use the stock front (14) and just sell/forget about the 49 and get a 51/52. or

d) Use the 14/49

So basically should I gear up and hope 1st isnt too high? Or just gear down and use 2nd - 5th for most everything?

Not sure I can help you much with a recommendation, but if you just do the math you can see the difference with various gear combos. 1 tooth up front is equal to about 4 teeth in the back. For example, a 13/49 combo will result in a .2653 ratio, a 13/53 will result in .2652.

No gear combo will change the large 1st to 2nd gap; that's in the tranny.

Exactly. However for the type of riding I do, as described in the title, I'm looking for the best option for what I have to work with.

13/49 looks great on paper. But I wonder what its like out on the trails.

I've raced nothing but tight and technical harescrambles on both my 400 and 450, I've always ran 13/50, it will alllow you to ride almost anything in second gear using a little clutch as needed and keeping some quick acceleration on tap. Just my 2 cents :applause:

Good Luck :bonk:

RIght now I'm stock. I notice 1st is rather low and the gap to second is fairly large IMO. I have a new setup ready to go on, but its stock upfront and -1 out back (49). Now this could do one of two things; 1) 1st will be taller & great for trails 2) 1st will be too tall for very technical hills/tight trails.

Should I,

a) Go stock up front 49 out back in hopes of getting 1st to be taller.

:applause: Use the 49 and go down one/two up front.

c) Use the stock front (14) and just sell/forget about the 49 and get a 51/52. or

d) Use the 14/49

So basically should I gear up and hope 1st isnt too high? Or just gear down and use 2nd - 5th for most everything?

My recommendation is option C. Go with the Stock front - 14 and a 51 or 52 rear. I race harescrambles on my YZ426 and have found that a 14/52 is just right. I rarely need 1st gear and thus avoid the possibility of mis-shifting to neutral from 1st to 2nd. Your 400 is geared different but I would still go with a 51 or 52.

Ditto 13/50 is my favorite gearing for tight single track and for hill climbs makes second gear more usuable and first is still great for super steep technical sections! :applause: