WR400 Harescramble Gearing

RIght now I'm stock. I notice 1st is rather low and the gap to second is fairly large IMO. I have a new setup ready to go on, but its stock upfront and -1 out back (49). Now this could do one of two things; 1) 1st will be taller & great for trails 2) 1st will be too tall for very technical hills/tight trails.

Should I,

a) Go stock up front 49 out back in hopes of getting 1st to be taller.

:applause: Use the 49 and go down one/two up front.

c) Use the stock front (14) and just sell/forget about the 49 and get a 51/52. or

d) Use the 14/49

So basically should I gear up and hope 1st isnt too high? Or just gear down and use 2nd - 5th for most everything?

Not sure I can help you much with a recommendation, but if you just do the math you can see the difference with various gear combos. 1 tooth up front is equal to about 4 teeth in the back. For example, a 13/49 combo will result in a .2653 ratio, a 13/53 will result in .2652.

No gear combo will change the large 1st to 2nd gap; that's in the tranny.

Exactly. However for the type of riding I do, as described in the title, I'm looking for the best option for what I have to work with.

13/49 looks great on paper. But I wonder what its like out on the trails.

I've raced nothing but tight and technical harescrambles on both my 400 and 450, I've always ran 13/50, it will alllow you to ride almost anything in second gear using a little clutch as needed and keeping some quick acceleration on tap. Just my 2 cents :applause:

Good Luck :bonk:

RIght now I'm stock. I notice 1st is rather low and the gap to second is fairly large IMO. I have a new setup ready to go on, but its stock upfront and -1 out back (49). Now this could do one of two things; 1) 1st will be taller & great for trails 2) 1st will be too tall for very technical hills/tight trails.

Should I,

a) Go stock up front 49 out back in hopes of getting 1st to be taller.

:applause: Use the 49 and go down one/two up front.

c) Use the stock front (14) and just sell/forget about the 49 and get a 51/52. or

d) Use the 14/49

So basically should I gear up and hope 1st isnt too high? Or just gear down and use 2nd - 5th for most everything?

My recommendation is option C. Go with the Stock front - 14 and a 51 or 52 rear. I race harescrambles on my YZ426 and have found that a 14/52 is just right. I rarely need 1st gear and thus avoid the possibility of mis-shifting to neutral from 1st to 2nd. Your 400 is geared different but I would still go with a 51 or 52.

14/52 or 13/50

Ditto 13/50 is my favorite gearing for tight single track and for hill climbs makes second gear more usuable and first is still great for super steep technical sections! :applause:

Awesome, thanks for the replys.