HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klmmicro

Tail light not working -

9 posts in this topic

The running and brake light have stopped working on my 2006 L. I have an Acerbis Dual Sport assembly on the back and it is working fine when I hook it directly to the battery, so I am not faulting that part of it.

I pulled out my multimeter and checked the lines from the front all the way up to under the seat where they connect to the rear assembly. Ground is good, but I get resistence instead of voltage on the running light. I also get resistence and no voltage when I hit the break levers. Traced the wires and they seem to be okay with no rubbed out spots and they do not appear to be grounding.

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

The ground seems to be working fine. I tried to run a ground direct to the frame, no luck in that direction. There is no voltage running to the bulb at all. I will check switches in the morning.

How is the light wired to the ignition?

I had an intermittent problem with my Acerbis tailight setup. The prong that touches the bulb for ground wasn't making a good connection. For that matter, neither were the other two. I decided that enough was enough (I had been chasing this problem for a while) and that rather than rebend the tabs AGAIN!!! I just wired in a new socket into the reflector. I changed to an LED bulb at the same time. No more problems.

I have had the same problem as targetdrone withthat acerbis junk, that a good idea refitting the LED socket in there. Can you tellme ware you got your LED for that swap. Before I put the bike in semi hibernation I was afraid to ride that bike at night cause that light would just stop working even after bending the prongs.

I have had the same problem as targetdrone withthat acerbis junk, that a good idea refitting the LED socket in there. Can you tellme ware you got your LED for that swap. Before I put the bike in semi hibernation I was afraid to ride that bike at night cause that light would just stop working even after bending the prongs.

The LED bulb I got from CycleGear. It was something like $22. You can find them on Ebay as well, but the one I got doesn't spin, flash, spindle or mutilate. It replaces a standard 1157 bulb.

The socket I used I got from my work. The brand is Noble Wire & Terminal Co but you can get the same thing from about any auto parts store.

I can take the tail lens off and shoot a couple of pics and post them if needed.

I have experienced problems with the Acerbis light socket tabs not connecting also. The LED sounds like a good idea. In the mean time, there is a blown fuse possibility also. There might be a separate circuit for the rear light.

The fuse did end up blown. I must have shorted it when I was trying to wiggle the light and whala. I am heading out to NAPA tomorrow to buy a metal 1157 type socket for a complete rebuild of the reflector. The way Acerbis did their version of the part just plain sucks.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!