3rd gear wheelies?

I have had my 650r for 1 year. It is uncorked but to this day it won't wheelie in 3rd gear. I have heard people say that it will do this by pretty much blipping the gas on flat road while at peak revs. Mine just runs out of guts while 1st and 2nd its no problem. Gearing is 14\48. I do weigh 240 pounds. The bike feels strong but it is noticable on the road that its slack on the top end.I have tried screwing out the what i think is the mixture screw on the carb but i goes the same and creates a flat spot down low. Maybe i should just buy an edlebrock? :applause:

It's not gonna wheelie real easy with a 240 lb. rider just by cranking the gas in 3rd gear even if you are jetted perfect and the rear wheel is slid all the way up, plus your best power in not really tacked to the nuts on a 650R.. Your gonna have to throttle back to dip the front end a bit while in the meat of the torque curve, then gas it and give a tug at the same time.. Try it on a slight incline while you get use to it, that makes it easier.. You should be able to do it if you time it all just right but it's not gonna just stand straight up for a heavy guy in 3rd with a flick of the wrist.. :applause:

Yes," in the meat of the torque curve" is what i meant. So it seems it is normal then. Its not that i will be doing 3rd gear wheelies but more an an indication of how the power of my bike compares to others. I'm 40 years old so if i fell on my arse doing a third gear wheelie i probably would'nt get up. Thanks.

It's normal.. I've had 2 650R's with and without modifications and ridden several others and thats about par for the course.. Some people say things just in wishful thinking I suppose.. If you want to wheelie with the flick of a wrist get a lightly modified CR500.. 40 isn't old, I'm 37 and ride with a guy thats 43, He rides a wheelie down the highway at 60 mph every time we go, it's just a practice and feel/balance thing.. :applause:

When my bike had the stock header/HRC tip, and stock carb set at 68s/B53E at 3rd clip/178 main my bike would lift in third just by being on the gas and I weigh 245. With the header, "E" Series, side panel mod and Edelbrock it does it even easier now. If I just drank light beer.....

As I thought about it I remembered I ran 13/48 gearing so that may be a big factor.

I love my uncorked, slightly lightened, FMF Ti piped, vented airbox, recently valve adjusted, XR650R SM. It runs with anything out there . It also does not do 3rd gear wheelies unless you use a lotta muscle..a lot...

Glad someone asked this question because I was getting a complex, mine runs strong but no easy 3rd gear wheelies.

... I'm 37 and ride with a guy thats 43, He rides a wheelie down the highway at 60 mph every time we go, it's just a practice and feel/balance thing.. :applause:

I've seen alot of sportbikes on-road and freeway doing wheelies. But come to realize, I've never seen an XR650R doing the same. Sooo....all you "talkers" out there let's see some videos! (don't ask me to do one myself-I ain't that good and I admit it).

I'm very confused by this thread, because I have a very modified (could be the reason) XR250 and I can easily to wheelies in 4th gear by just cracking my throttle and pulling up just a little!! A 650 should be able to do a wheelie in every gear with just a littly blip. From what I have found out the XRs are very easy to wheelie since they have really short swingarms. I can ride a 70 mph wheelie on my 250 in 6th gear!! When I first had my 250 I could hardly do 3rd gear wheelies (unmodified bike and unexperienced wheelie rider) now its just a quick blip in 3rd and up and away 3rd 4th 5th 6th WAAAAAAAAAA!! :bonk::applause:? Another reason could be the 650s are just alot heavier.

I've seen alot of sportbikes on-road and freeway doing wheelies. But come to realize, I've never seen an XR650R doing the same. Sooo....all you "talkers" out there let's see some videos! (don't ask me to do one myself-I ain't that good and I admit it).

You want me to ride along behind him with a video camera and e-mail it to you ?? Besides, the "talkers" here are the 250lb. riders claiming 3rd and 4th gear effortless power wheelies.. Facts are, you can ride a highway speed wheelie on just about anything that will run that fast if you are good enough, the best wheelie guy I ever rode with did it on a KDX 200.. If you haven't seen it then all I can assume is that you haven't ridden with anybody thats any good.. Cause I promise you it can be done.. :applause:

You want me to ride along behind him with a video camera and e-mail it to you ?? Besides, the "talkers" here are the 250lb. riders claiming 3rd and 4th gear effortless power wheelies.. Facts are, you can ride a highway speed wheelie on just about anything that will run that fast if you are good enough, the best wheelie guy I ever rode with did it on a KDX 200.. If you haven't seen it then all I can assume is that you haven't ridden with anybody thats any good.. Cause I promise you it can be done..

Couldn't say it any better than he just did. I would want something above 250cc's thought unless its a smoker.