Edelbrock Carb

OK, is the Edelbrock carb for the XR650L worth the money or is a properly jetted stock carb good enough? I guess I would just like to know if you would notice a big improvement in performance? I have changed the pipe and air cleaner and jetted the carb and all seems well, but one is allways wondering if things could be better.:applause:

I had the Mikuni TM on my L also. I took it off for the Edelbrock and am glad I did. The flatslide had really nice throttle response but I could not get rid of a flat spot in the lower midrange and it drove me crazy....crazy enough to buy the pumper. Another 'problem' with the Mikuni is after a while the idle screw will leave a detent in the slide and when you have to change idle (weather, etc.) it can be finicky, too high or too low. That drove me crazy too. I'm so glad I went with the Edelbrock. I had one or my 650R and loved it before I waded it all up. It smoothed everything out and made the bike so much more enjoyable. I don't have to worry about it hunting around for an idle. It's about as close to a Constant Velocity for manners/driveability with much more performance. Don't go expecting huge gains though because you'll be disappointed. It just makes the bike much more civil. And as for jetting changes? Not even close...Edelbrock hands down. :applause:

Later, Lee

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the stock Keihin carburetor. It is easy to adjust, easy to clean, easy to change jets on, it fits the bike perfectly, there is no issue with idle adjustment or cable routing (as many here have reported with the Edlebrock). I'm very happy with mine. Best of all, you don't have to bend over for another $400 or spend a day putting it in and getting your hands covered with gasoline. All brand new carbs seem to start bikes wonderfully because they have a new clean, usually up-sized, idle jet . A clean Keihin carb will start an XR very nicely.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the stock Keihin carburetor. It is easy to adjust, easy to clean, easy to change jets on, it fits the bike perfectly, there is no issue with idle adjustment or cable routing (as many here have reported with the Edlebrock). I'm very happy with mine. Best of all, you don't have to bend over for another $400 or spend a day putting it in and getting your hands covered with gasoline. All brand new carbs seem to start bikes wonderfully because they have a new clean, usually up-sized, idle jet . A clean Keihin carb will start an XR very nicely.

A pumper carb makes a huge difference when trying to fire up a modified high compression motor (I have a 10.5/1 piston+ hot cam stage one and had to lose the auto decompressor) Even stock, when the temp was around freezing starting was iffy with the CV carb.

Hey,

I use a Mikuni TM40 on my 650R and I used a TM36 on my XR400. The Mikuni is VERY tunable, but this also can make it difficult to setup. This is why you hear some people complain about it. The Mikuni is a bit smaller too, so it has less fitment issues on some bikes.

The Edelbrock has a magic "turn this screw" to tune feature. From what I've heard, it's VERY easy to setup and has good performance.

You will not notice any huge increases in HP with either carb. It's mainly starting and throttle response. The stock carb can be lived with, it's just that most people like spending $ on shiny, go fast bits.