Go both ways? MX on a WR?

Does anyone MX on a WR ('05 wr450)? A buddy is trying to get me to join him in the over 30 class at the races this coming season and I'm wondering if it feasible.

First off - I'd be a 39 year old rookie so I'm not out to break any records here. I know that the weight of the bike is a disadvantage but I'm not concerned. I'm more interested in knowing if I can do it (in general):

1. Can you just tape over the lights and remove the kickstand or will I have to replace the front num plate & rear fender to do this?

2. I already did the exhaust and throttle screw mods and would obviously deal with the gray wire. Anything else?

3. is it easy to tighten the suspension enough to drag my fat, desk jockey butt around a track and maybe catch a few inches of air from time to time

Any thoughts

you don't have to replace anything...

BUT

destroying bike parts is pretty common.

Remove the headlight and stick a same year YZF plate on it (OEM, UFO, ACERBIS, etc). I had to fabricate some stuff to fit it up.

I replaced the rear fender w/ a YZF. For off-road use, I mounted an aftermarket working taillight which goes on and off very easily.

I don't know if I'd remove the kickstarter, that would be your choice.

Hit a local practice track before you start racing, if one is there. It can be unnerving bottlenecking up in that first corner, for your first race.

Some of the guys know they have to work tomorrow. A few seemingly don't think they do.

If the race tension becomes too much, either go slow or back out. Don't make it a personal race.

The day has to end dirty, hot and sweaty. You need to retell in gory detail how this guy passed you, and when you passed him back.'

Learning STARTING TECHNIQUES is MANDATORY. It is alot easier riding at the front of the pack, then the back of the pack.

Your riding skills increase exponentially racing vice just putzing around.

You can develop some Fantastic riding friends, both on and off the track.

Motocross Action converted a WR to YZ, the sole reason to ge the e-start.

I would do it, but then again, I am knocking on deaths door and have nothing to lose.

Great thread. I myself have converted my 400 into a motobike.

Kickstand gone

Front Number Plate = YZF

Rear Fender = YZF

Stiffer springs (proaction)

I have new gearing too (yet to install) which is one tooth smaller out back. The main give aways to it being a WR are 18" r.w. and 3Gal. tank/seat.

I ride my WR on tracks all the time out here.. The bike isn't holding me back at all. You can find better track bikes than the WR but it does just fine for us average Joe's....

Do you ride for practice or do you race? Tell us about your set up. I was thinking about trying a race or two next season but my local track is kind of supercross style, lots of jumps. (if you watch Speedvision's coverage of the Canadian Nationals it's the Nanaimo Wastelands track, round two) I'd like to hear about suspension setup and whether you still have your starter and battery etc...

Hi,

I do both with my WR. What I think is most important if you want to drive MX is setting up the suspension. It will be way too soft after Enduro and you will brake yourself and the bike in process.

Here is how much my settings differ:

Enduro:

Front up 10 clicks open

Front down 13 click open

Rear up big 1 1/2 turns open

Rear up small 8 clicks open

Rear down 14 click open

MX:

Front up 2 clicks open

Front down 13 clicks open

Rear up big 1 turn open

Rear up small 8 clicks open

Rear down 4 clicks open

Biggest difference is front setting I also use bit more oil on front that is default. It makes it bit more progressive in the end.

Timo Mc

I do both as well, but racing offroad does not really allow me to keep the plastics looking pristine like all the track bunnies at MX track :bonk:?

But it's fun especially when you get enuf sack to go for it and clear a big double, I have put the YZ plastics on it but I'm still the only guy out there with Bark Busters and a Q pipe. I run a heavier rear spring but other than I just rely on clicker adjusments to switch between offroad and MX. One thing I have realized, loud pipes for closed courses really don't amount to anything but emotional horsepower... I do quite well in my class without the extra 10 - 15 db's.

Good Luck, have fun :applause:

I concur. I've done a little bit of MX on my WR. just practice days, no real racing yet. I swapped the front headlamp for a plate, and thats about it. The main problem i have is with the suspenders which are way too soft for me. I'm a fairly heavy, fairly brave complete beginner who likes to jump. :bonk:

If I were you, I'd spend all my money on the suspension and practice time. you certainly won't want any more power for now.... and get stuck in. you'll love it :applause:

Do you ride for practice or do you race? Tell us about your set up. I was thinking about trying a race or two next season but my local track is kind of supercross style, lots of jumps. (if you watch Speedvision's coverage of the Canadian Nationals it's the Nanaimo Wastelands track, round two) I'd like to hear about suspension setup and whether you still have your starter and battery etc...

Dan, I don't race motocross.. I have in the past with my CR250 but I've kinda moved on to other types of racing like desert and GPs. I ride a track here in socal called I5MX, just to get into shape, it's a pretty big track where a lot of races are held. It has some pretty long double jumps where you have to be pinned out of a corner just to clear the long gaps. You really don't have to do much to the bike to ride the track the way it's suppose to be ridden, but I've taken off the lights and kickstand just to keep thinks to a minimum. I have no problem clearing 90 percent of the doubles, they're far and take full commitment to clear.. The bike does great... It's all about the rider....

My problem here is there really isn't any other kind of racing nearby, it's either MX or trail riding. I've done some MX and Cross Country racing in the past and I love the competition aspect. I think I'll buy a membership at the track this year, comes with a key to the gate and access to unlimited practice time. Maybe I'll try a race.

I too ride mostly (95%) mx on my 99. Talk about heavy but, the single best mod I've done on my heavily mod'd bike was the suspension. I had john curea of mx-tech and the moderator of the suspension forum here at tt, do it. I've also talked with him about doing it over for a "middle ground" type of suspension. Somthing good for track and trail. He said can do.

hey dan, hey kevin:p

Bill

it's about time Bill!

PM me what has been going on w/ your life.

I am looking at more knee surgery >> torn cartilage in my R knee (there is hardly any left!)

I am on a list for a 2006 YZF450, although this may be a REALLY BAD IDEA!!!

Yamaha of Camp Hill quoted me $7900.00, when I offered a bank check on the spot.

After the initial shock wore away, I left (< 1 minute).

Kevin

Get your :applause: e-mail back up...or is it... :bonk: