HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TBone_Boston

Cold weather starting ('05 WR450)

9 posts in this topic

I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal.

On real cold days (less than 35 F) its almost impossible to start my bike. EStart is useless and kicking it feels like a stairstepper.

Also when I engage the clutch and put it in gear the clutch doesnt seem to work. I can pull the bike backwards but when I push it forward the wheel stays locked up.

Can I assume the the oil is just thick as a brick and THATS why so much trouble? I end up rocking it back and forth until the clutch engages and I can push it forward (warm up the oil?) and then I can kick it over. So i'm wondeing is this normal? And am I hurting anything by forcing the clutch like that?

Get a 72 or 75 starter jet for cold days ( you will not need to turn the throttle at all during the starting cycle). The bike will e-start down to about 30 degrees without problems. Yes the cold clutch will grab. let the bike warm up for 2 or 3 minutes when it is that cold. Evaluate your clutch for issues only after riding it for a few minutes. :applause:

Indy i s right. I just installed a #72 starter jet in yesterday, and Man!, that bike fires right away. It used to take forever,and I would eventually have to kick it before the battery ran down.

also think about the oil you have in there. if you haven't already, change to some fresh 10w-30. you may have some guys up that way using even lighter.

Mine is hard to start also. I find if I kick it about four times with the ignition off and choke on, then turn it on and use the electric start, it fires up .

John

Yamaha makes a cold weather formula motor oil. I use in the winter for my YZ400 and my kids TTR90. It is thiner than the normal oil and turn over easier when cold.

The starter jet makes a huge diff when starting. Listen to the wise indy...

I'll look into the new jetting first. I don't expect to ride much during the Winter but I do at least like to fire it up every week or so to keep the juices flowing.

Thanks again!

Hi,

My brother had the same problem. I changed slow jet to #48 and opened up fuel screw to 2 turns on his bike voilá :applause: He has stock exhaust so if you have something more opened up you might need even bigger slow jet.

Timo Mc

Also when I engage the clutch and put it in gear the clutch doesnt seem to work. I can pull the bike backwards but when I push it forward the wheel stays locked up.

I had the same thing happen to me after my bike sat for a long time in the garage. The oil got thick and the clutch wasn't engaging. No harm done. After the bike warmed up, the clutch worked fine.