Anybody have pics of the Acerbis 5-gal. L tank?

I'm assuming that these might not be as popular as the others? I ran a couple of searches and came up with very little.

I'm considering the Acerbis as well as the Clarke. Would like to see what they look like installed on an L. Anybody relay any experiences with them? :applause:

I have the acebis 6.0 gallon tank on my L..

DON"T BUY IT!!!

The gap that is between the frame and the stock fuel tank is there for a reason, and the Acerbis hugs the frame. The oil can't cool.

Here is a picture of my 53,000 mile pig earlier this year, with the acerbis tank that I installed in July of 1996.

edit:

Image of the bike was taken from the highest peak in THIS Image

I have the acebis 6.0 gallon tank on my L..

DON"T BUY IT!!!

The gap that is between the frame and the stock fuel tank is there for a reason, and the Acerbis hugs the frame. The oil can't cool.

Here is a picture of my 53,000 mile pig earlier this year, with the acerbis tank that I installed in July of 1996.

edit:

Image of the bike was taken from the highest peak in THIS Image

that tank is just re god damn diculous.

EXCELLENT IDEA, MADE FROM RIGID FOAM INNER CORE, FITS PERFECT, LOTS OF TIE DOWNS ETC. ARE THE GOOD POINTS. Oops, I'll stop yelling, but now the bad points, my zipper is bagged where it goes around the 90 degree corners, and spraying with a pressure washer is hard on it once the fabric has been in the sun a while. Good overall ,I'd do it again for sure.

EXCELLENT IDEA, MADE FROM RIGID FOAM INNER CORE, FITS PERFECT, LOTS OF TIE DOWNS ETC. ARE THE GOOD POINTS. Oops, I'll stop yelling, but now the bad points, my zipper is bagged where it goes around the 90 degree corners, and spraying with a pressure washer is hard on it once the fabric has been in the sun a while. Good overall ,I'd do it again for sure.

Sweet... I'm glad I finally got to see a pic of one mounted. I think I may have to make the purchase :applause:

I'll stop the hijack with this, but how was the mounting? I take it you remove the black "support" between the light and the fender and the wires route under or through the bag somehow- and the bag bolts to the light to support it?

Can you lock the zipper the way you can lock the stock toolbag? have you secured anything to the top of the trunk (bungee a small backpack or something?)

Thanks...

I bought a pipe years ago but it was way too loud, stealth is good.....

zipper locks like old oem tool bag did

The tank fits ok but I moved the oem turn signals to the plastic handguards for the steering lock to work. Only problem with tank is a support you bolt to frame. It has end plugs that wear/deform. I replaced them with rubber buttons (snowmobile part) and now have little trouble. :applause: BTW watch the front supports for loosening if you're on washboard roads.

Why do these aftermarket tanks have to be soooo ugly? I know they're big, but geez, can't they mold some of them up in red, and get a sticker kit or something? Can't they reshape them to make them droop, and instal one of those little gas tank pumps inside? Or couldn't they make a new longer tank with a shorter seat, to make the perspective look right?

I know I'm putting form over function here, but something bugs me about these tanks!!

Why do these aftermarket tanks have to be soooo ugly? I know they're big, but geez, can't they mold some of them up in red, and get a sticker kit or something? Can't they reshape them to make them droop, and instal one of those little gas tank pumps inside? Or couldn't they make a new longer tank with a shorter seat, to make the perspective look right?

I know I'm putting form over function here, but something bugs me about these tanks!!

This from a guy with "anti-bling motorcycling" in his signature... :bonk:

Just kidding Jayzonk !!!! :applause:

Jay seems like your only option is to get a custom builder to fab you one in aluminum right down to your specs,tough a steel tank like the stock but with more capacity wouldnt hurt.Too bad Honda dirt bikes dont have that kind of aftermarket support.Maybe it is that making a die for forming tanks is not very profitable in terms of volume/sales. :applause:

:applause:............ :bonk:

> I have the acebis 6.0 gallon tank on my L..

I just called Baja Designs and they told me that the Acerbis 6 gal is ONLY for the R?!?!?

Not clear even from the Acerbis web site...

gimgim,

Baja Designs is incorrect in that statement. When I purchased the 6.0 gallon tank (1996), it came with special parts specific to the 650L.. The parts that come for the 600R are not compatible to mount up to the 650L.

Despite the fames being virtually identical in every dimension, their differences, when it comes to the fuel tank, is slightly different.

One correct point: THE ACERBIS 6.0 GALLON TANK IS UGLY!!! :applause: