HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PfM

WR longevity

27 posts in this topic

Peoples,

I am interested to research some facts on the long terrm ownership of WR's. I don't want "It'll roost XR's" or "climb trees" or "bring world peace" - just how long you have had your WR's, how many km (miles * 0.6) and oil change schedules.

Facts on the bike - not the riders or their imaginations.

Cheers

04 450...5100kms and had the valves adjusted once, changed the oil every 500kms.

Still starting great and running hard with no smoke.

99 WR400F bought new in 2001. Not sure about km's in total but the hours would be more representative in my case...about 500 hours trouble free. Change the oil every 16 hours or so. Clean the air filter about the same depending on the riding conditions (has been very dry here, more cleaning). Valves check by "trusted" certified Yamaha technician annually, thus far only one slight adjustment.

Have a buddy with a 98', about the same, about 1000 hours trouble-free.

2003 WR with Yosh Comp RS3 full exhaust system, JD jet kit and over 5,000 miles combined riding of trail & street motard use. One valve adjustment & Mobile One red cap oil changes at 500 mile intervals. Only problem thus far is water pump drive shaft weep (common problem), replacement battery, and front axle bearings ($15 in parts).

The WR should be just as reliable and last as long as your XR400. (and twice as long as the Triumphs) :applause: kidding...

my dad has an 04 450 with over 5000 miles took it into to the shop last week and it had its first valve adjustment. i have 1634 miles on my 250f and no problems

i have a 05 wr450 with about 1200 miles and besides the engine blowing up it has been a great bike.

bout 3 years... dont know the miles and change oil after every 2 to 3 weekends out in the sand...

i have a 05 wr450 with about 1200 miles and besides the engine blowing up it has been a great bike.

How did you blow the motor on the bike? Did you do something stupid?

The WR should be just as reliable and last as long as your XR400. (and twice as long as the Triumphs) :applause: kidding...

HeHe.

Well, that would mean that the WR would have to be still going strong in circa 2095. The Triumphs are 1959 and 1961.

As for the XR - 20000km with 2500km oil changes. Screw and locknut valves adjusted once. Not sure the WR would be happy with that.

I am really more looking at 50000km - probaly a much easier 50000km that most of you give yours, but still...

Not having a go - I know that the bike's best features lay in other areas - just curious about long term ownership.

Thanks for the replies all

How did you blow the motor on the bike? Did you do something stupid?

no. yamaha actually paid for the parts and i paid labor. the mechanic was surprised yamaha paid anything. mechanic said it was not rider error, just came from factory screwed up. it never did sound right before, but now it sound like a high comp 450.

the DRZ-400E would be a more like-for-like replacement for your XR400, i.e. a low maintainance trail bike. A courier in singapore showed up on the DRZ forum asking how to reset the odometer cause it froze up when he hit 100k km.

The WR450 is as low maintainance and reliable as a 4-stroke race bike gets.

HeHe.

The Triumphs are 1959 and 1961.

Triumph are still making bikes, you can get them here in SA, albeit not offroaders...........they have eventually sorted out the oil leaks :applause:

the DRZ-400E would be a more like-for-like replacement for your XR400, i.e. a low maintainance trail bike. A courier in singapore showed up on the DRZ forum asking how to reset the odometer cause it froze up when he hit 100k km.

The WR450 is as low maintainance and reliable as a 4-stroke race bike gets.

I know it has a different cam setup to the YZ but would you say other than that they are similar (except for stator of course). I mean would you rate the Wr as a slightly tamed down but more reliable engine than the YZ?

I love my YZ but it is out of action for a few weeks waiting on parts (oil drain fell out).. In a crazy mood I am thinking of maybe going the WR route..

I saw a new triumph out here that had a 2300cc 3 cylinder engine :bonk:

But I bet it was shit offroad :applause:

02 426 bought new in January of 04. The bike is bullet proof. 3800 miles and not a single thing wrong with it yet and I have raced it every year. Check valves every year (have not had to make an adjustment yet), oil change every 300 miles with Mobil1 red cap, Air filter every oil change.

I love this bike.

:applause:

Replace the XR400 ???

There IS no replacement, but I take your point on the DR.

Truth is, Yamaha and Honda have decided that I have to buy a WR or CRF and that I have to ammend my expectations accordingly.

Again, no insult to WR/CRF intended - at the moment I don't believe that they fit the role I would put them in. If that role changes, I will think again - but the XR400 will remain.

Cheers