How do I tame this beast?

I have an 05 WR450. The guy I bought it from put a lot of nice goodies on it. Free mods, fmf pipe and header, scotts, JD, etc...

Its a good looking and running bike. Check that... this thing is a fire breathing, balls to the walls, rippin', runnin' beast. :applause:

It definitely gets my adrenaline going, which I like a lot.

However, I would also like it if I could tame it just a bit. I still want to go fast, but I am not necesarrily a "fast" rider all the time. I am intermediate level and want to slow down to enjoy the view.

Is there a way were I could ever so slightly, remove some of the agressiveness and still have the adrenaline rush on tap?

Am I making sense? I want to be able to also use this bike to go trail riding with my kids. Its a bit much for that right now. Keep in mind that I do go out with the boys and like to open things up a bit as well.

Also, the FMF pipe and titanium header are really loud. Can anyone recommend a quieter pipe?

Put a FMF Q2 on and make sure its not YZ timed.

Its not really a bike for the slower or more timid rider , WRs are designed as a competitive offroad bike.

Eric

Dont twist the throttle so far.

I have and wholeheartily recommend the Dr D exhaust system. Very usable power curve without busting your eardrums...too much.

As far as your power conundrum, it sounds like there are times you want it, and times that you don't. I know this is a simple suggestion, but in all seriousness, just don't give it as much throttle when you don't want to go fast. You can putter around by using less throttle and have all that power at your disposal for when you want it.

Put the stock throttle pin back in......

I have an 05 WR450. The guy I bought it from put a lot of nice goodies on it. Free mods, fmf pipe and header, scotts, JD, etc...

Its a good looking and running bike. Check that... this thing is a fire breathing, balls to the walls, rippin', runnin' beast. :bonk:

It definitely gets my adrenaline going, which I like a lot.

However, I would also like it if I could tame it just a bit. I still want to go fast, but I am not necesarrily a "fast" rider all the time. I am intermediate level and want to slow down to enjoy the view.

Is there a way were I could ever so slightly, remove some of the agressiveness and still have the adrenaline rush on tap?

Am I making sense? I want to be able to also use this bike to go trail riding with my kids. Its a bit much for that right now. Keep in mind that I do go out with the boys and like to open things up a bit as well.

Also, the FMF pipe and titanium header are really loud. Can anyone recommend a quieter pipe?

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike. The whole point of the WR is to have competition spec power. Sounds like you should have bought a more mild big bore like a DRZ 400E. Now that you've made the investment to get the big WR, just learn how to ride it without killing yourself and you'll be fine :applause:

You probably want a WR250.

The 450 comes in handy on BIG hills or Sand, thats when your glad you have the power.

Dont twist the throttle so far.

I second that

Thanks for the advice on the pipes. I will look at the FMF Q2.

Regarding the power, don't get me wrong, I like it and I can handle it just fine. Naturally, I use a lot less throttle when I don't need it. But it just doesn't seem like the kind of bike that is most appropriate for trail riding with the family.

I guess I am looking for the one bike to handle all of my different riding scenarios. I think I need two bikes.

Maurice, You should put the stock pipe on, that will help. A flywheel weight is a great idea for you. I'm not sure what weights are available for the newer WRs but flywheel weights really do a good job controlling the power delivery. You will also benefit from a tractor like feel, a heavier flywheel shines in the tight stuff. good luck........

leave it yz timed dont put the throtle stop in, just have a little more throttle controll and get the Q2 or other 96db pipe

The WR seems like a perfect trail bike too. At least it is for me-- 6'4", 220 lbs. Are you a smaller guy in terms of weight or height?

leave it yz timed dont put the throtle stop in, just have a little more throttle controll and get the Q2 or other 96db pipe

That is totally incorrect......................

WR timing gives a nice, smooth, mellow, consistant power delivery, much easier to control!! Most guys complain the bike has no hit until you time it ala YZ or throw a cam in it.... The worst thing a guy can do to mellow a WR is to make it act like a snappy YZ...... :applause:

Put a FMF Q2 on

Eric

I agree.... the Q helped my 450 alot. I also changed the flywheel for a heavier one.

damn i never thought the 05 wr 450 was that ballsy it seemed tame compared to an 04 450 and downright girly after i rode a 02 yz 426f but the yz time give them a lot more snap which i love wish my 250f did that but alas i do not need that much bike.

the wr, timed to spec should be an EXCELLENT "trail ride with the family" bike. Im going to have to assume that this particular bike has been YZ timed....because if not, i dont see what the problem is.

and i will also agree with dan, that a flywheel weight may help your situation tremendously.

You might try disconnecting the TPS if it hasn't already been done. Disconnecting it seems to lighten the hit making it easier to ride on trails.

-shorty87

cheap option for your pipe is to install a 'fmf quiet insert' cost me $50 aus and works great. not as loud did not restrict power too much and easy to pop in or out!!

I recommend either the FMF Q2 or the WB E2 both are quiet pipes. I understand that you're looking for a little less "hit" from your WR450, I would go with a heavier fly wheel and/or buy a smaller rear sprocket with two less teeth. The smaller sprocket will help smooth out the some of the "hit" of your bike and will take away some of the snap at lower throttle settings.

I recommend either the FMF Q2 or the WB E2 both are quiet pipes. I understand that you're looking for a little less "hit" from your WR450, I would go with a heavier fly wheel and/or buy a smaller rear sprocket with two less teeth. The smaller sprocket will help smooth out the some of the "hit" of your bike and will take away some of the snap at lower throttle settings.

I agree, but be prepared to loose a heap of power with one of these pipes.

Smaller rear sprocket is way to go.