Best exhaust for the money

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, when I started this forum I did not intend to get anyone steamed up over the topic of sound level. When I say loud, I am not talking about anything over 105 db, I just want something that is not quieter than stock, uncorked. I am a 17 year old male, I think that most other males my age will agree with the "louder is better". This is something I will more likely grow out of. The only places I ride at is privately owned land. I am sure that I will have to deal with sound level sooner or later, but for now I want to enjoy my youth while I still have it and have my bike loud.

105 db is extremely loud. DB's are measured on a logrithmic scale. 100 is twice as loud as 96. Anything near 105 is going to be hated for miles around. Not to mention you will need to wear ear plugs or risk hearing damage.

Why do the older riders get so riled up about "louder is better"?

Because I have personally seen many riding areas get closed down starting with noise complaints.

Private land? If the noise spills over, it is your neighbor's concern.

The ego stroking extremely loud pipes are not worth the damage they do to the sport. Trust me, if you don't have noise laws now, running loud pipes will bring them.

There are pipes that are more efficient than stock, but not loud as possible.

If your pipe tests over 96 db is will be illegal for most AMA racing events and all National Forrests.

WR426F rider,

It doesn't matter where you live or where you ride. It doens't matter if you think that no one will care. It doesn't matter how old you are or how you want to experience your youth.

Because someone will hear your bike that possibly hasn't made a decision on weather or not they like dirt bikes. And they don't like being disturbed by loud noises, so now they don't like dirt bikes, one more person who will help shut down riding areas, tracks, your oppertunity to ride.

All because you wanted a loud pipe. Loud is no longer cool, it is dorky. Loud sounds like crap.

And you can get more power with a properly tuned quiet system. Most guys who just throw on a loud pipe actually loose peak power because they don't jet for it.

Be a dork and help get riding areas shut down so when you grow up like me you can spend a lot of time fighting to keep them open. Instead of riding.

It is that important. The pipe on YOUR bike is that important.

And you are only the first step, we need to find out what made you think like this and get to the root of the problem.

And to answer your question about the best exhaust, of which I've ridden nearly every one. Personally on a WR426, I liked the FMF Q2.

JIMMY

There's a HUGE article in the most recent Dirt Rider that addresses this very topic. Jeremy McGrath bought an expansive tract of land to build a private track so as not to bother anyone. Guess what? They're telling him now that he cannot ride on his land because it bothers people. He's fighting it with an army of lawyers, but then again, he's rich. I doubt there's more than a handful of TT members that could afford to do the same. McGrath goes on to say that even HE cannot ride a new 450 to the potential of the bike and unless RC is masquerading as someone else on this board, I can say with 99.9% certainty that the same goes for everyone here as well.

Aaah, but you say the louder the pipe, the more power it unleashes, right? Wrong! The data has been compiled and in many cases it states the opposite. Decibels and power are not always directly proportional. There is a break over point where the more open and louder a pipe, the less power you will produce. There's no question that a stock pipe restricts power and performance, and sounds like a gasping vacuum cleaner, but louder is not always better. Loud pipes may save lives, emphasis on MAY, but I defy you to prove to me that idea holds true for anywhere but on the street. I suppose you could use your bike to scare deer away from a potential hunter, thereby saving their lives, but as far as being a safety feature for the rider, I'm calling B.S. on that.

As far as the "experience my youth" excuse goes, who says you have to be an obnoxious, disrespectful clod to properly experience your youth? Take skateboarding for example. Because it is primarily a kid's sport and because kids are now raised to be obnoxious, disrespectful punks who have no accountability, skateboarding IS considered a crime in many places simply to curb the destruction, vandalism and plethora of problems that always seems to accompany it. Saying "I'll grow out of it" is just a cop-out. Do yourself and your generation a favor and play by the rules from the start. You'll be surprised how far it takes you and you won't ruin it for the rest of us. Trust me, we know who you are and we'll find you. End of lecture...SC

Educational Links: 1, 2

I just wanted advice on exhaust and those of you who had something to say about my question I thank you. For the rest of you, why don’t you work on reading the question and to see what it’s asking before you just post something to bump up your post count.

I just wanted advice on exhaust and those of you who had something to say about my question I thank you. For the rest of you, why don’t you work on reading the question and to see what it’s asking before you just post something to bump up your post count.

Exactly! Q2 or E2 not best pipe you can buy........ Louder than stock and what, loose bottom end, gain 1 or 2 hp top end?

By the way, it is probably unpacked mufflers that are the cause of most of the problems, not mx pipes.

I dunno son, you asked a question and got a whole lot of answers, one from one of the fastest guys on the planet and the editor of Dirtrider.. I'd say you did pretty good... Now quit your crying and buy a pipe already.

Matty, ya know.. Sometimes you can be a real poop head!!!

You are WRONG!!!!!! Noise DOES kill riding areas.. Sometime you should crawl out of your hole and open your eyes to the problems our sport is facing. Don't give me crap about how great your country is because nobody cares about sound (like you've done before). Of course the stock pipe is crap.... But "The louder the better" attitude can kiss my ass.. :bonk:

I agree 100%! You do tend to have a " I don't give a crap about anyone else" attitude at times Matty. No offense meant but we don't need that "louder is better" mind set in the US so please stay down under. :applause:

I didnt buy the entire system, just the slip on muffler and I got the FMF Powercore4 for $239 from RMC, then I added the "quiet core insert" which was about $30 and the sound with it measured at 93db, and without the insert was about 102db. I did get the "SA" version, basically means "spark arrestor" and a good idea. There is plenty out there to chose from. Mine mad lots of extra power over stock.

I agree 100%! You do tend to have a " I don't give a crap about anyone else" attitude at times Matty. No offense meant but we don't need that "louder is better" mind set in the US so please stay down under. :applause:

Mate, don't go living your life to please everyone else. Take your own footsteps. learn for your self. It is certainly rewarding.

I have NEVER said louder is better. I just don't care about noise. I don't have to. I care about power. That is my situation.

Don't worry mate, you will be riding a mountain bike soon, the way you make out that a pipe will be the end of the dirtbike. When that day comes, you are quite welcome to come over here with me to ride! A few more riding buddies won't go astray. Just don't bring your attitude, because you won't last long.

By the way, my next bike will be a fuel injected, aluminium framed WR450F with most likely a FMF twin muffler system. Those babies are ment to add a crap load of power, be just as silent as a stock mx pipe (which I can see that it is already too loud for you!), and look sensational!

I have a stock yz pipe for my WR and it runs good when I use it with stock jetting other than the needle clip moved down one groove. I need a pipe with a spark arrestor. So should I buy the $100 DR. D SA end cap or just buy an aftermarket pipe and ditch the yz one?

Loud pipes may save lives, emphasis on MAY, but I defy you to prove to me that idea holds true for anywhere but on the street. I suppose you could use your bike to scare deer away from a potential hunter, thereby saving their lives, but as far as being a safety feature for the rider, I'm calling B.S. on that.

You should see the wildlife I come across! They are slightly bigger than a deer, being up to 2000lbs. Yes the muffler helps scare water buffalo away. You can call BS, if you run into one, it will be BS in your pants. They are everywhere here.

Here is where I live:

www.nhulunbuy.com

Here is some reading on buffalo attacks, the last death being in May 2005.

http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/police/media/news/2005/05/20050526_buffalo_attack.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Buffalo-gores-man-to-death/2005/05/26/1116950812088.html

I will still tell you, everyone has a different situation.