HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DzNuts

Supermoto ?

2 posts in this topic

This looks like the perfect place to find all my answers, so thanks in advance for all you help.

I have been doing some research on building/buying a motard and everbody seems to point me towards buying a xr650 but I am a yamaha guy at heart so I would like to stick to blue. Are any of the yamaha's a good candidate for a street/trackday bike, or would I be better off going with an xr. It would be used mostly for street riding in the twistys, but would also be doing a couple track days (strictly pavement). Can anybody point my towards a good yami or would an xr be the only way? Thanks

As I understand it, there is a 450 class and an open class in SM. The XR650 is definitely going to be a better street bike than most of the others you could pick for the purpose, but it will be quite a handful in the dirt sections of a Super Moto course, or even the "urban MX" parts, because of its considerable weight. I've never seen one run competitively. A WR450 could be modded into a good bike for you, and a 525 KTM can be used in the bigger class. What it comes down to is, do you want a competitive SM racer, or a fast street thumper? The answer, to me, lies in that question.

There's also a Super Motard forum listed down the index from this one on the main forums page. See what those guys think.