2006 Baja 1000 ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCORE entry fee is around 900+ Pit crew is 450+ GAS 5.50 6.50 a gallon plus rental fees if you don't have your own gas cans ect.. The 900 for entry might be less I've been working all night so my brains a little slow.

Dakar Fee mucho Dollars 9,500 plus rental fees for transponder sat phone Ect.

shipping for bike or rental bike Additional. :applause:

The way I see it, (call me a realist) if you have to ask, you probably don't have the resources to do it.

Baja 1000, maybe, probably not.

Dakar, not a chance.

I have seen people watch From dust to glory and all of the sudeen they want to do it too.

There are multi-million dollar teams that can't finish those races.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but let's be realistic.

The way I see it, (call me a realist) if you have to ask, you probably don't have the resources to do it.

Dakar, not a chance.

I have seen people watch From dust to glory and all of the sudeen they want to do it too.

And some $10,000 class 11 VW's finish.

We raced a XR 650R. Here is a loose accounting of our costs:

2006 XR 650R - 6,000.00

Suspension - 850.00

Other Mods - 1,000.00

Score Entry - 1,000.00

Honda Pits - 1,400.00

Lodging, Gas,

Insurance, Food,

Odd's 'n' ends - 2,000.00

Total - 12,250.00

Don't forget there are expenses for pre-running which I included.

A finish is a win! This year's course proved that.

If anyone is on the list who has done this

There are lots of guys on TT who've raced the Baja 1000 in buggies and on bikes. Personally, I have raced the '1000' 20 times and have DNF'ed just 1 time.

SCORE - www.score-international.com Course and sign-up info

Baja Pits - www.BajaPits.com For rental Pits.

Mag 7 Pits - www.Mag7race.com For rental Pits

- Riding an XR650R and renting Honda Pits is the most expensive (pits cost) but it's also 100% reliable.

- Securing hotels for the beginning and end needs to be done really early to assure you get rooms.

- Pre-running the course is a really good idea even though you are riding Solo. It might seem like a waste (meaning you can't possibly remember the entire route) but at least you'll have a good idea of direction (at night this is good, especially when it's foggy) and hopefully you'll recall some of the really dangerous areas.

I agree with "babbs" comments.

And yes, "don87xr600" is correct too.

"mjlang" is really accurate (IMO) on his numbers. It's a very realistic number even riding Solo.

I do not see headlights on his list and that could range from a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand bucks.....not counting spare sets.

Also think about spare sets of wheels....at least 1 spare front to change out at 1/2 way (each with Tire Balls or Mousse) and a few spare rears ready to go.

Something I read into on his list is the $$ spent into prepping the bike......GOOD suspension(!) and not a lot of 'bling'. I like it.

If I were riding Solo at a 1000 I would not do anything like a cam or internal motor mods. Keep it easy to ride and make it comfortable, very important.

The good thing about the 1000's that Finish in La Paz is that they are pretty stinkin' easy terrain and high speed.

The '06 '1000' is finishing in La Paz which is a completely different ballgame than the '03 shown for Dust to Glory or this past 1000. Prerunning to La Paz and returning from La Paz take much more time (ie:$) and your chase crew(s) along the Hwy are in for a crappy adventure......

Dakar, not a chance.

BABBS YOU CAN EXPRESS YOUR OPINION. BUT WHILE I'M EXPERIANCING THE RACE AND THE PEOPLE I MEET ALONG THE WAY YOU CAN KISS MY MONKEY BUTTED A$$!!! :applause: ITS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE YOU MEET ALONG THE WAY.

BajaBoundMoto is spot on.

Pre-running is critical - you simply cannot do enough.

For a first time solo effort, a reliable bike with dialed in suspension and a really good light set up is key. A BRP is more than powerful enough to keep your attention - especially somewhere around hour 25 or so.

For a solo effort, how many hours of deep knee bends with a 100 oz. Camelbak plus some tools on your back can you do? Go to the gym tomorrow and start . . . . And while you're at it, what ar eyou going to do about the hand and forearm cramps that start at about 15 hours and don't go away for days? And then there's the blisters . . . .

Tires/spare wheels are a necessity and a bitch to plan. After all, can you plan where you'll need them? Of course not. But having a plan to change them out will minimize exposure to unplanned repairs.

I assume you have sand and silt in Oregon? Ride it. A lot. Rocks and high speed stuff are easy. Sand sucks. Silt is worse. You might try a training regime that includes picking an XR650R with a full 4.3 gallon tank up, kicking a dozen times to clear it, then trying top start it. Kill the engine, drop the biuke and repeat. In deep sand/silt. To make it interesting and somwewhat real, do it at night in a narrow wash with trucks and buggies occaissionally happening by. You'll be ready.

Despite the foregoing, GO FOR IT! Seeing the 5 or 6 finishers in La Paz in '04 who solo'd gave a new definition of tough, determined, capable SOB to me. Just making it happen earns respect - it ain't easy and it takes commitment over an extended period. You might think about soloing the 500 first (it is the first weekend in June, and a wee bit hooter than Baja in November). It is a bit like running a half marathon before attempting a marathon.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with Bonezjones. He rode Vegas to Reno this year, a bit of the 1000 this year and a lot of it last year, and is planning on Dakar '07. As for Dakar money, plan on $60-75,000 (minimum) for the total effort, KTM Rally bike and KTM support included. One of the toughest aspects off Dakar is the day after long day after long day for 18 consecutive days with minimal sleep. Check out Bob Bergman's report from last year, Charlie and Dave Raseou's stories, and Kevin Heath's midlife crisis website.

Good luck with your dreams - were I 20 years younger and had not made such a habit of aflling down on incompressible surfaces, I'd being thinking, and planning, the same thing. Cheers,

BajaBoundMoto is spot on.

Pre-running is critical - you simply cannot do enough.

For a first time solo effort, a reliable bike with dialed in suspension and a really good light set up is key. A BRP is more than powerful enough to keep your attention - especially somewhere around hour 25 or so.

For a solo effort, how many hours of deep knee bends with a 100 oz. Camelbak plus some tools on your back can you do? Go to the gym tomorrow and start . . . . And while you're at it, what ar eyou going to do about the hand and forearm cramps that start at about 15 hours and don't go away for days? And then there's the blisters . . . .

Tires/spare wheels are a necessity and a bitch to plan. After all, can you plan where you'll need them? Of course not. But having a plan to change them out will minimize exposure to unplanned repairs.

I assume you have sand and silt in Oregon? Ride it. A lot. Rocks and high speed stuff are easy. Sand sucks. Silt is worse. You might try a training regime that includes picking an XR650R with a full 4.3 gallon tank up, kicking a dozen times to clear it, then trying top start it. Kill the engine, drop the biuke and repeat. In deep sand/silt. To make it interesting and somwewhat real, do it at night in a narrow wash with trucks and buggies occaissionally happening by. You'll be ready.

Despite the foregoing, GO FOR IT! Seeing the 5 or 6 finishers in La Paz in '04 who solo'd gave a new definition of tough, determined, capable SOB to me. Just making it happen earns respect - it ain't easy and it takes commitment over an extended period. You might think about soloing the 500 first (it is the first weekend in June, and a wee bit hooter than Baja in November). It is a bit like running a half marathon before attempting a marathon.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with Bonezjones. He rode Vegas to Reno this year, a bit of the 1000 this year and a lot of it last year, and is planning on Dakar '07. As for Dakar money, plan on $60-75,000 (minimum) for the total effort, KTM Rally bike and KTM support included. One of the toughest aspects off Dakar is the day after long day after long day for 18 consecutive days with minimal sleep. Check out Bob Bergman's report from last year, Charlie and Dave Raseou's stories, and Kevin Heath's midlife crisis website.

Good luck with your dreams - were I 20 years younger and had not made such a habit of aflling down on incompressible surfaces, I'd being thinking, and planning, the same thing. Cheers,

PM'D YOU

Someone needs to get you the hook up with "San Felipe Bob"! In 2000 Bob soloed all three SCORE races including the Baja 2000( 1,700 miles)!! When he got tired he'd stop at Honda pits(he was riding an XR) put the kickstand down and lay down for a power nap.He'd ask the pit guys to wake him up in a half hour,gas up the bike,say "thanx" and head out. Took him 54 hours! Three guys soloed and finished.Bob is a cool guy! I know him.

Robert Laughlin has solo'd the San Felipe 250, the 500 and the 1000 for the last two years, and won every event (Sportsman class). He was 8th overall motorcycle in this year's 1000, and he does it all by himself. Uses Honda pits, but from what I understand, he preruns by himself, preps the bike himself, even drives himself to and from the races. What a stud! Unbelievable.

OLN's Baja '05 coverage was on last night and I thought it was pretty sweet (although it went from 1.5 hrs to 1 hr). Did anyone catch NBC's broadcast and if so, how did it compare? Mark your calendars for 1/14 on OLN, which is the beginning of their 3 days of Dakar coverage.

Tim is right, I forgot lights & stator 1600 bucks plus a Tecate light backup, 400 bucks, and finally spare wheels and tires/HD tubes for pre-running and racing, another 1000+ bucks. The team went through 12 sets of tires pre-running and racing. We used Tire Balls for the front wheel on the race bike and they were sweet 170.00 per set. You could bash rocks without any problems. I would not recommend anything other than good old extra HD tubes for the rear. So add another almost 3K on the cost.

Lot's of the cost I've been adding up are one-time costs. Lights, suspension and others will transfer to other bikes or you can run the bike for multiple seasons. Some friends ran three full seasons on Pro 30 with the same bike and did very little to their 650R.