WR to YZ cam timing. Advantages?

How is RPM measured at an actual field test at an enduro or ranger stop? Do they stick a tach on it or just run the throttle to half? I've heard they just twist to half throtttle.

About a month late on my response....(been busy I guess)...

At the enduro and harescramble races that I attend, they have a book that lists all of the motorcycle brands and what the "half of max rpm" is listed. They preform the test by placing a vibration tachometer on either the motor or your rear fender and then twist the throttle until the tach tells them that they are at the right RPM level. Then another guy takes the db reading at that specific RPM.

It's a crude test meaning that there is a lot of operator variablitly in the test. The person taking the test should be well trained and have some experience to preform the test correctly. Something as simple as standing in the wrong spot can throw off the db meter.

• 8 months later...
I will be using my WR on the road and off road, i have the YZF Cam on its way, would you guys still recomend its use on the road, or can it put to much strain on the engine?

The lift and duration are identical. The only difference is that the YZ cam changes the intake/exhaust overlap and timing to the correct paramaters determined by Yamaha engineers.

Your right wrist controls "strain" on the engine.

For what it's worth, I don't notice much difference between WR and YZ timing.

I ran the YZ timing for a long time. When I did the top end I couldn't remember what the YZ timing was and couldn't be bothered to Google it so I'm running the stock WR timing now.

I think I will switch it back again to see if I notice a difference now that I have decent compression again.

• 7 months later...