Fork Problem

I have fork leaking BAD. How hard is it to rebuild them? What kind of seals should I use... stock? Is there a rebuild kit to put in them that is way better than stock?

Before you tear open the fork for a rebuild, try cleaning the fork seal with a piece of 35mm film. You may just have some crap up in the seal that's causing the leak. If I remember correctly, you have a relatively new bike which makes me think that may be the problem. Check out this thread from the Tech Forum...SC

Pivot Works makes a nice seal kit that has all the bushings and seals in one package. Its a little pricey, but well worth the money. As far as rebuilding them, just open your manual and follow step by step, they are very easy and really don't take that much time to do them. The cleaning trick never worked for me, but go ahead and try it, just make sure that you replace your lost fluid.

Stock seals or the pivot works kits are good.I replace fork seals for $135.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING BACK TO YOU!! I use Stock seals AND new dust boots and Motorex fork oil.No cheap fork oil or off-brand seals. Dave Mitchell,Pres. MXTIME Inc. www.mxtime.com or email dave@mxtime.com

Stock seals or the pivot works kits are good.I replace fork seals for $135.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING BACK TO YOU!! I use Stock seals AND new dust boots and Motorex fork oil.No cheap fork oil or off-brand seals. Dave Mitchell,Pres. MXTIME Inc. www.mxtime.com or email dave@mxtime.com

That's cheap! :applause: But be careful advertising on TT, the powers that be won't be impressed and you could be kicked off.

I have fork leaking BAD. How hard is it to rebuild them? What kind of seals should I use... stock? Is there a rebuild kit to put in them that is way better than stock?

Its not hard to replace them. But it does take a few tools. People have recommended making these tools from PVC pipe and black gas pipe (search the thumperfaq site for more info). I can see the black gas pipe working, but the amount of force I needed to set the seals would not have worked with the PVC pipe. Besides, you may end up with PVC shavings inside of the fork then, and thats not good.

If your fork is leaking BAD, its best to tear down the fork. Even if the seal just needs a good cleaning, the fork oil levels will be off, and you have to disassemble the forks to set the fluid levels.

M.

What happened with mine is, Teflon wore off the piston metal and got stuck in the seal. I replaced "per the manual" The slide metal, Piston metal and seal. Stock parts total was about $40. The PVC trick works better if you use 2 hose clamps to hold it the on the lower fork. I worked the ends of a piece of 2" PVC with a dermal to ensure that I didn't damage the seal. Just cut the PVC in half and clean it up real well. Follow the instructions in the manual. It's pretty easy. I didn't even remove it from the bike.

It chirped a few times and then started leaking. isn't 35mm film the same as negetives you get back when you get picture's developed?

I just read the thread in the Tech Forum. That is pretty slick. I will do that tonight.

THANKS SC

What happened with mine is, Teflon wore off the piston metal and got stuck in the seal. I replaced "per the manual" The slide metal, Piston metal and seal. Stock parts total was about $40. The PVC trick works better if you use 2 hose clamps to hold it the on the lower fork. I worked the ends of a piece of 2" PVC with a dermal to ensure that I didn't damage the seal. Just cut the PVC in half and clean it up real well. Follow the instructions in the manual. It's pretty easy. I didn't even remove it from the bike.

Must have been really crappy teflon seals for 05.. Thats what I have, and the exact same thing happened to me.

my 05 forks are leaking already. i have cleaned /wiped after each ride. (500kms trail/ 500 motard) it is going to cost $160Aus to rebuild incl parts. (or $130 if i take the forks off for them.

is this fair ? do the 05's have crap seals?

my 05 forks are leaking already. i have cleaned /wiped after each ride. (500kms trail/ 500 motard) it is going to cost $160Aus to rebuild incl parts. (or $130 if i take the forks off for them.

I would recommend reading the manual and doing it your self. Bottom line is good seals or bad if you pay someone els to do it every time it needs done that would suck. I feel it's just a good skill to have. I don't think the stock seals are bad, but the piston metal from the factory had problems with the Teflon wearing off and getting into the seals. The parts cost would be about $80US total for both and you don't need to remove them from the bike.

For the price it costs to have someone else do it, you can buy all the replacement parts and a seal driver. I put in new seals once a year, whether it needs it or not, when I'm changing out the fork fluid.

Jerry

That's about normal

It cost me $290 for full servicing and revalve front and back with MPE suspension in QLD.

It costs about the same for a revalve as it does for servicing. Get a revalve and they have to service them anyway! :applause: Revalve is much needed!

A little trick I learned is put a well oiled foam strip in between the dust cover and seal. It works awesome at keeping crap out of the seals plus it keeps smooth action as it oils the fork leg.

Do it yourself with some showing you how to do the first one. It is easier if you have 3 hands but it can be done with 2 and something to hold the fork upright. Then you can do it yourself from then on. Buy a fork seal driver from Tusk for $40.00 and keep a spare set of seals, bushings and fork oil with you when you go riding. 30 - 45 minutes tops to change it out in the parking lot where ever you go riding. :applause:

The cleaning thing is working for now. I cleaned them Sunday with the picture negetive and ride for about a hour. It wasn't leaking yesterday.

thanks for your help

i am going to attempt to do it myself!

i will keep you guys posted

This site rocks!!!