Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
andrew_driscoll

Ridden an '06 YZ450 in the woods yet ??

14 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback or a ride impression after using one of these for woods/trail/enduro now that they have the 5 speed tranny in them...

Was also wondering if anyone had any comment or feedback on the alloy frame for this application ? i.e how rigid is it ? too rigid ??

I rode mine this last weekend, some tight trails, lots of trees etc.. I love the the bike, it has a very light feel, easy to flick around. Comparing to my WR the gearing is a lot taller for use as a woods bike, I may look at changing sprockets for my use. I never was able to get out of 3rd for most of the riding I was doing. Also had to do a lot of clutch work to keep from stalling. My WR has a lot of low end snap that I like, comes in handy for getting over obstacles. The 06YZ450F powerband is very linear, which is great for most trail riding.I plan to make some changes in jetting and maybe aftermarket exhaust in order to give the low end a little more snap. Some may find the powerband to their liking for crawling through the nasty stuff.

I just purchased my 06 on Friday, and rode some tight single tracks on Saturday. I too found the gearing to be a little tall. Trails that I normally rode in 2nd and 3rd, I was riding in 1st and 2nd. Compared to my 01 426 the bike handled great. Due to the decreased weight I was able to move the bike around a lot with minimal effort. My only real complaint was that the bike was a little cramped for me. I should mention that I am 6' 2". My remedy was to purchase some renthal fat bars with a cr high bend. Overall this is a bad a#@ bike and with some gearing changes I will be great for woods.

I am a woods racing, hare scrambles and enduro's, guy in Alabama. My dealer says my 450se will be here Sat. I have been riding a 01 250f and love it. I have had a lot of anxieaty over wether this will be the right bike. No disrespect to the Cal. motocrossers but they don't ride what we ride. But, from what I have heard and what I know about setting up a mxer for the woods I think this new one should be sweet. I'll let you know Sun nite!

I am a woods racing, hare scrambles and enduro's, guy in Alabama. My dealer says my 450se will be here Sat. I have been riding a 01 250f and love it. I have had a lot of anxieaty over wether this will be the right bike. No disrespect to the Cal. motocrossers but they don't ride what we ride. But, from what I have heard and what I know about setting up a mxer for the woods I think this new one should be sweet. I'll let you know Sun nite!

UH excuse me. dont even put me in that catagory of Cal. motocrossers :applause: , we have plenty of tight woody trails here in Western Oregon.

I live in SE Texas, I rode mine last weekend in Louisiana, lots of singletrack, tight trails. I too found that I may need to re-gear. I also found the suspension too stiff, but we have lots of roots around here. I sent my suspension in for a re-valve, should know more when I get it back. Overall I liked the bike, my last one was a CRF.

I rode in the woods this weekend. Really liked the 06 450 except for when I was gunning it out of the corners like a two stroke the bike would make instant u turns. LOL. I know if I rode in the woods all the time I would re gear, but I am a half breed and I like riding tracks as well. All in all I would put handguards on it, re gear, heavy duty tubes( already did, I hate flats), skid plate , radiator guards and call it done for woods riding.

I just purchased my 06 on Friday, and rode some tight single tracks on Saturday. I too found the gearing to be a little tall. Trails that I normally rode in 2nd and 3rd, I was riding in 1st and 2nd. Compared to my 01 426 the bike handled great. Due to the decreased weight I was able to move the bike around a lot with minimal effort. My only real complaint was that the bike was a little cramped for me. I should mention that I am 6' 2". My remedy was to purchase some renthal fat bars with a cr high bend. Overall this is a bad a#@ bike and with some gearing changes I will be great for woods.

Try some Fastway F3 OR F4 foot pegs and mount them in the low boy position.

They drop about 13mm and F3's have two different sets of cleats.

These are the best pegs I've ever used.

Is the suspension too harsh or is it because the frame is too rigid ??

I don't think i'd regear it... I'd probably just whack in an autoclutch... :applause:

Oh, BTW... how much engine breaking do they have now? would have to be less than the KTM's ?

Oh... and any idea's on how well they go on fuel range with the 7 litre tanks ? guessing it's not too far... but there isnt an IMS or Clarke Tank for them yet... :applause:

Oh, BTW... how much engine breaking do they have now? would have to be less than the KTM's ?

Oh... and any idea's on how well they go on fuel range with the 7 litre tanks ? guessing it's not too far... but there isnt an IMS or Clarke Tank for them yet... :applause:

Bump +1, I'm curious too.

Also, are they prone to stalling moreso then a YZ250 2-stroke?

Are restarts easy?

I'm looking hard at the 06 YZ450. My wife pulled out a 2nd mortgage for new tits and I made sure there's enough to get me a new bike.

I race desert scrambles (singletrack/technical) "B" class on a 2001 CR500 and need something less fatiguing to ride. I suspect that a YZ250 may be the slightly better race bike, but that I'd miss my CR500 low-end too much... YZ450 sounds like a good compromise between manueverability, rideability, and good low-end.

People I consider good sources (good racers) say that the 450 makes you work harder, stalls, and is a PITA to restart... compared to a YZ250. I'm wondering if these may be more the traits of "yesteryear's" 450? The 2006 seems pretty wicked.

I live in Texas and race our harescrambles series, 4stroke A. I have never raced a two stroke but have raced several of these 4 strokes. I think this is probably the smoothest motor I ridden in the woods, dont think I will need a flywheel weight, havent had any stalling problems to speak of and when I did it started back up first or second kick. I have had my suspension revalved, GPR damper , and hand guards. My first ride in the woods, I made 32 miles and ran out of gas. I had installed a JD kit from my CRF to see what it would do and it was too rich in the midrange, this may have been the fuel mileage problem. Im headed to the same place tomorrow so I will know more after that ride. I cant see a 4stroke causing you more fatigue than holding on to that CR500. So far I really like this bike, it feels really light and nimble and to me handles better than my CRF did. I think you would be happy once you got used to the difference.

People I consider good sources (good racers) say that the 450 makes you work harder, stalls, and is a PITA to restart... compared to a YZ250. I'm wondering if these may be more the traits of "yesteryear's" 450?

Were they all 2-stroke riders? Those traits are all from "yesteryear's" 450's. If the jetting is correct and the valves are adjusted, it takes one or two kicks to restart. Little bit heavier than a 250, but you lose that incessant two-stroke vibration and gain a incredibly wide powerband.

Stalling is an issue for any bike with MX gearing, but a heavier flywheel or a Rekluse will solve any issues.

More '06 YZ riding experiences please! I'm thinkin' I need to get one.

Jerry

I have been riding mine in the woods for two weeks. Stock it is scary, but 51 tooth rear sprocket, billet spark arrester with silent insert and raise the forks a little past the first line and it works great, except for one thing...it still needs some more flywheel and no one makes one yet ( if anyone can prove me wrong please say so). Steahly says 2 mths. I put in my order today for a rekluse clutch. I think that will be the ticket. New Zealand here I come! :applause: