WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE? Revised for all you peop's that cant stand all caps

Rode at Ocatillo. Rode up the big shell reef hill. Got ¾ way up and dropped bike somewhat softly. Got down to bottom of hill. Getting dark. Bike Making Weird Smell. Had to drive back since getting dark. All power still in Bike.

No residue on bike. Cleaned with enging brite.

Let Bike sit for a few weeks. Started up and immediately starting smoking from the the pipe that runs from top of motor to exhaust. Startled like normal. Didn’t ride but sounded same, revved up fine.

Brought to Yamaha. Still under warranty. They spend a ½ hour on it and told me my compression was low. I asked what is the normal compression? The said I don’t know. But mine was at 70. 24 hours later they called me back and said that it should be at 90.

Firtst they said they can get to it next week. Spend 3 hours tearing the top part of the motor our for it may be blown.

I didn’t run it out of oil or coolant. But the bike did seem to be hot from the white smoke rising up from the head pipe. I did have to fill it up with some oil and antifreeze the next morning but didn’t ride it.

Now its next week and I havnt given them the go ahead yet.

Yamaha dealer now says since I havnt got it tuned up ever that the valves could just be out of wack. That’s why the low compression reading. They want to do the full tune up with parts costing $220. Also, he said a drip down test to see why smoking?

I’ve had it almost for 2 years. I have the 2 year Western Warranty. The bike has full power as I remember on that day. I have taken care of the bike pretty well. Not ridden much. Whats your expert opinion? Am I getting the run around.

:applause:

No. Why?

those guys are clowns and this sounds like how they do work.

As for your bike. I have no idea what's going on with it. IF you trust your shop then that must be the fix. You could always take it to another shop for a 2nd opinion or ask advice on who to take it to in your local area.

Hi again Jeffro.

You told you had to add oil and antifreeze, so so it has been running hot, hasn't it?

White smoke and sweet smell = coolant is getting into cylinder. You have a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder/head.

Blue smoke and bad smell = oil is getting into cylinder. You have a broken piston ring/rings or your valve guides leak oil into cylinder.

Seems like you need to tear the top end down.

White smoke and sweet smell = coolant is getting into cylinder. You have a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder/head. :applause:

yeah thats the one. Sounds expensive...and not covered by warranty. How does my bike overheat and 20 other riders not on same ride?

Shop just called. blew out grommet which is between cylinder head and valve cover. thats why oil leaking. he called it the motorplug. other than that he will call me later for a prognosis. I wonder if the service guys read this stuff. because it seems to have gotten a lot less expensive since this post.

You say it is 2 years old right? and by "never had a tune up" do you mean that the valves have never been checked or adjusted? I hope not :applause: because that could be your problem.

Not unusual at all, he also said "not ridden much". I never had to adjust my '04 450 valves either. I also know several Yamaha riders who never even checked them.

OK this makes me want to rush right out and get my valves adjusted.LOL..

Bro, jefro 23. improper jetting will make your bike run hot add in the deep sand in Ocotillo. the added stress and load on the motor. feel luckyyou only blew the de com plug. get a billet One . and have the top end rebuilt cleaned and adjust the valves. it will be cheaper in the long run than a new top end if it blows up or seizes.

i cant say enouhg times to people. Oil change oil change oil change oil change.

every ride if you can afford it if not every other ride.

i cant say enouhg times to people. Oil change oil change oil change oil change.

every ride if you can afford it if not every other ride.

Could not agree more.

Jeffro, when you get the solar treatment done to your bike at the dealer, ensure they at least change the cam chain and tensioner if your bike has ran over 60 hours.

Moto Goalie. . .

well i come from road race backgrond and working on those motors.

valves were pretty easy to adjust with shim under bucket designs. feeler gage + math skills + shims = easy vlave adjustment job. what is the design on 4 stroke dirt bike motors. I know im coming up due for one soon. dont know what the local race shop charges but im sure its not much considering there are not 16 or 20 vlaves anymore.