Whats the difference 05 YZ250-06 YZ250

Whats the major difference between an 05-06 YZ250. I know the 06 suspension has the Showaba forks and Ti spring. Is that pretty much it :applause: Is the motor unchanged? I have a chance to pick up an 05 for a great price with some extras, but I don't want to do it if the 06 is way better.

I'm on an 04 YZ450F right now and have been throwin around the idea of goin back on a 250 2 stroke. I don't race but I track ride once a week and hit Glamis 10-12 times a year. HELP!!!!!!!! What to do, life sure is tough :ride:

New for 2006:

Speed sensitive system, 48mm Kayaba fork tubes move the TCV (transfer control valves) above the fork springs, so that damping force is now controlled by piston speed. Along with a bigger base valve hole, the result is a smooth ride and super-precise handling.

A thicker rear shock rod, a super-light titanium shock spring, reduced-friction Kashima coating of internals and a revised swingarm all work together for fantastic rear wheel control and a sweet ride.

Increased fork pitch, also gives great handling.

Carburetion revisions and a new exhaust pipe meet FIM requirements and produce arm-stretching, broadband power.

Light and strong Renthal aluminum handlebar in new clamps with 10mm of adjustability.

Aggressive new front fender and front number plate up the style factor.

Tapered rear wheel spacers ease sliding the rear wheel into place, for quicker tire changes.

The most important! A black gas tank.

Due to a brain cell malfunction, the author of this post has come to the realization that yes, the tank is in fact blue. He sends his deepest apologies to any TTer this may have infected.

I hate myself! Now where did I see that at? Evidently I dreamed it up huh? Nowhere in this forum on any post have I ever claimed to have very much sense. Please forgive me!

Maybe last year during the big seculations about the aluminum frame on the 4 strokes I read an article saying they may be black because of what the gas does to the tank.(stains it). I think they just change the chemical in the coloring to fix the problems plus help with the whitening when the plastic gets bent.

• 1 year later...

The '06's suspension is WAY better than the '05.

The '06's SSS suspension has been called "The best stock suspension on any bike" by at least one magazine.

I just bought an '06 YZ250 a month ago and it's SOOOOO much better than what my '02 YZ250 had.

I tend to buy in odd years, so I had an 05 and now have an 07. The stock forks are better on the 07, the rear end feels about the same. The 05 forks can be made to work as good or better than the new stock forks. I swear my 05 had more "hit". Anybody else notice this??? The 07 seems to turn better. 05, 06 or 07 they are still the best bikes on dirt! ?

I tend to buy in odd years, so I had an 05 and now have an 07. The stock forks are better on the 07, the rear end feels about the same. The 05 forks can be made to work as good or better than the new stock forks. I swear my 05 had more "hit". Anybody else notice this??? The 07 seems to turn better. 05, 06 or 07 they are still the best bikes on dirt! ?

If you are using stock jetting... the "more hit" from the 05 was probably due to a better needled. The needle in 05/06 was better suited for the YZ250 and was crisper... but it had a tendency to ping on pump gas, so for 07 they used a richer needle.

As for the 05 to 06 changes... Everything mentioned above plus... The 06 has a better rear swingarm. Also quality control was rumored to be better on the YZ's starting in 06, this is kinda important.

Engine wise, 06 is my favorate out of the 05 to 08's... but only because 06 was the only year of the nice pretty silver painted cylinder.

I think they just change the chemical in the coloring to fix the problems plus help with the whitening when the plastic gets bent.

they need to go back to the drawing board on that... ? i don't know about gas tank problems (except the graphics on the tank) but my shrouds are marble colored already and the bike is only 1 month old