can you do too many wheelies?

i was told by an experienced dirt bike riding mate that if you do too many wheelies/ monos you can run the motor dry of oil due to the location of the oil pick up. especially if they are for a long distance???? anyone know anything?

my 99 400 has developed a noise that sounds bearing'ish'.

thought initially it was just valves and took to mechanic and he said only my middle inlet valve needed adjustment.

wwhen i got it back no noise but once its warm it sounds noisey. i notice it most with the clutch pulled in when i give it a rev.

back to mechanic.

i was told by an experienced dirt bike riding mate that if you do too many wheelies/ monos you can run the motor dry of oil due to the location of the oil pick up.

Nah mate, he's pulling your leg.

You can't keep the front wheel on the ground on those 400's anyway!:applause:

I can now wheelie all gears now! The front wheel stops spinning after a while and creates some "moments" when it returns to the ground I would rather do with out.:ride:

Doing wheelies is easy, just start off learning in 1st gear. Learn rear brake control and balance point. Be smooth on throttle. I find it easier to stand up but I can do them sitting down too. You just can't see that well!

Matty05: Easyer standing up? I must say.. I can pull it up in 1. gear, and ride all the way up to 5.th sitting down, but i am almost not able to do a wheelie staning up at all :applause: Only with my knee on the seat.. hehe..

Should practise a little on thise standing wheelies i guess..

As for the topic:

Is`nt the 400`s dry sump motors? I think that it`s almost impossoble to run out of oil while doing wheelies in this kind of engines..

"R-bikes" are a different story..

wheelie as you like, dry sump oils every moving part in the engine, no matter the running position

about middle inlet valve...that was the only one needing adjustment in mine 99 too in a period of 2 years

noisy motor..probably clutch basket? mine also gets noisier when warmed, but its I believe normal, since it does it since i own it :applause:

olawr450 yeah thats still hard standing up, but gee it feels good.

and i always start in 2nd, just seems easier

how far?

with a headwind or slight hill, as far as there is room.

this bike is made to do it and it makes me do it.

i could mono my old xr250 ok but when i got this thing, my mate adjusted my suspension and away i went.

then he gets there and says can you kneel on the seat and do it?, so i give it a go and it's actually easier (2nd through to 5th),

then he said can you do it side saddle so i do it, easy,

then he says can you stand on the seat?, and i do it (4th gear is best) seems easier than sitting,

then he says what about stand on the left footpeg with your right leg behind you, so i do it, again easy.

these bikes make it seem easy, make you look good(or dangerous)

so now I start sitting down, then get up to put knee on seat as i change to 4th then sit back down in 5th, not bragging but i have practiced a lot.

mrs got a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/yeahdothat.jpg

i can do it standing upright on seat properly now, that was my first attempt

it wrecks front tyres. s12 is chewed to bits

now, back to the subject

5valve when you say clutch basket, is it something i can make go away.?

and whats involved?

and the middle inlet valve is the only one that has needed adjustment at all.

i think i may have done the 1st check(mechanic did) at 2800 ks(when i got it), all was well, 2nd at 4800 and last one at 6400.

p.s. almost two kilometres on the beach is best one and had to put it down for a creek.

Worn basket, so the plates are hitting it when cable is pulled

its just a presumption, but its a quck check...lay the bike, so no need for oil drain, open engine cover at clutch and inspect the basket edges

maybe you are using thin oil (cheap), maybe you are having bearing trouble, but that is heard with or without clutch pulled

Matty05: Easyer standing up? I must say.. I can pull it up in 1. gear, and ride all the way up to 5.th sitting down, but i am almost not able to do a wheelie staning up at all :applause: Only with my knee on the seat.. hehe..

It is just easier to keep the balance point when in 5th gear going 140+km/h standing up as you can lean back or forward easier. It looks cooler too!

I have been practicing going back down through the gears but the front wants to slam back down. You have to be real easy on the clutch!

believe it or not, but it's actually easier standing on the seat than sitting.

I may be wrong but certainly feels easier. 4th gear and be careful how much gas you use to lift it.

as for rear brake control, i never use it. back compression is enough to pull down front.

in fact i dont think my back brake works that good. another job i must get onto.