Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gc212

cant start

13 posts in this topic

sometimes after riding my 98 wr400 for quite awhile, when i have to start it up again i have to kick for like 10 to 15mins including push starting before it will start what could the problem be??

Couple of questions for you....

Are you using the correct starting drill by finding "Top Dead Center" with the decompression lever?

Have you tried using the Hot Start lever?

Does your bike make a "Clicking sound" at all?

Have you ever had the valves adjusted?

How many miles are on the bike?

I'll try to help, buy I need more info.....

Dan

yes i use the hot start lever everytime i start my bike, i've been using the same way i use to start my bike since i got it without any problem its only this few weeks the problem started i have no idea how many miles are on this bike already as i got it second hand and there's no meter on the bike, anyway thanks for helping

Is the plug wet? If you have to use the hot start EVERYTIME then something's wrong. Something is also wrong if you are able to get a 98 400 engine to turn over by pushing or even rolling it down a hill....... My 400 would never bump start the wheel is essentially locked when not running and in gear. I know of a few guys that could do it by getting tricky with the decomp lever :p but I wouldn't suggest it. Maybe you have a problem with your decompression valve?

I'd start by pulling the plug :ride: yeah I know it's a pain, but the condition of the spark plug should atleast tell you if you are getting too much or maybe not enough fuel :applause:

Good Luck

I've only been able to bump start my 98 once and that was on a STEEP downhill in third gear. Agree you shouldn't have to use the Hot Start unles you've flooded or dumped the bike.

I'd say check that plug, and your jetting.

I agree with the other comments re push starting. Virtually impossible on my 426.

How long have you had the bike and have you ever checked your valve clearances? Hard starting is a symptom of inlets closing up.

As already stated your plug could need replacing.

ohh yah just to make things clear sorry for not saying when i try push starting my bike it doesnt work at all, it just starts up using kick start

I know of a few guys that could do it by getting tricky with the decomp lever :ride: but I wouldn't suggest it.

Good Luck

Best trick in the book :applause:

yes i use the hot start lever everytime i start my bike, i've been using the same way i use to start my bike since i got it without any problem its only this few weeks the problem started i have no idea how many miles are on this bike already as i got it second hand and there's no meter on the bike, anyway thanks for helping

The reason why I asked is because when the hot start circit becomes mandatory it tells me you need a valve adjustment.. No clicking noise?? Could be something else but you shouldn't need the hot start every time.

The trick to bump starting is to use 2nd gear, hold in the de-comp lever and clutch, let the motor get turning with the de-comp lever in, then let out the clutch, starts every time, no sweat, no problem with the motor. Try it!

The trick to bump starting is to use 2nd gear, hold in the de-comp lever and clutch, let the motor get turning with the de-comp lever in, then let out the clutch, starts every time, no sweat, no problem with the motor. Try it!

how do you get the motor turning with the clutch in?

i roll start heaps in 2nd or 3rd , clutch and decomp lever in. using separate fingers you release the clutch and hold decomp lever for about a half second, and away.

Sorry, I said it backwards, you hold both levers in, get rolling, let clutch out with decomp in, then let decomp out.