HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
REBELEX

Tranny probs?

6 posts in this topic

I have the 00' 426 and still havent done the 01' cluth mod "YET". I got this bike this year with a staggering 25hrs total on it, awsome machine to say the least. When i got it the clutch grabbed and bited on take off, yet it still selected any gear no problem.

NOW here lies a concerning prob that is arising. It doesnt like to click into 1st after a stall, crash or when running in hot temp. Like I have to double clutch it, and give it a small blip of the throttle so it will slip in. The oil is still golden and also o/filter was changed about 10 rides ago. It selects and up and through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th no prob with the engine running or not. This doesnt happen everytime but has occoured enough times now for me to do a post on it.

So my question is that will wear out 1st gear prematurely due to the clutch biting bad on take off every time or is it the gear itself :applause:

To me it seems that 1st has worn out excessivly faster than the rest, yet i barely use 1st.....go figure

Make sure that you have the correct oil level and that you have replaced it lately. I had the same problem and adjusted the oil level and its fine now. I know a lot of people don't even use 1st gear and start out in 2nd, but that doesn't answer your question. Not sure what causes the premature wear, or if that is the problem. Have you looked in the gear box to see if the gear is worn? :ride::applause:

NOW here lies a concerning prob that is arising. It doesnt like to click into 1st after a stall, crash or when running in hot temp. Like I have to double clutch it, and give it a small blip of the throttle so it will slip in.

Well, first gear sees more use and converts more torque, so it is going to wear out faster regardless of what the clutch is doing. Forcing the bike into first when it doesn't want to shift could accelerate that wear, but you are more likely to bend a shift fork w/ if you are using a lot of force on the shifter (the gear and dogs can probably take the abuse).

But based on your description it sounds like the clutch simply isn't disengaging fully, which is why they chatter and grab to begin w/. It could be you have a bent shift fork but I would try dealing w/ the clutch first.

As an aside, I'll mention that before the '01 came out a lot of guys here modded their basket and push rod, trying to increase the supply of oil (which is delievered to the clutch by the oil pump via the pushrod BTW) and reduce the grabbiness, the clutch needs oil to work properly, that is why oil level was mentioned in the post above.

Anywho I don't think insufficient oil would make a diff because the 426 is dry sump, as long as there is a continuous, say, 1 tbsp. of oil in the res and the pressure pump has a supply to pump, the clutch and the rest of the motor will enjoy the same lubrication as if the reservoir was filled to the top. This is because the scavenging pump removes the oil from the cases (back to the reservoir) faster than the pressure pump can fill it (an obvious consequence of the dry sump design).

Hope this helps.

You say that it won't go into 1st unless you blip the throttle or clutch it a little. That almost makes it sound as if the clutch has so little drag on it that the trans is at a complete standstill in between gears, rather than turning slightly with the clutch so that the gear dogs can spin into alignment. This could be something that will "wear out" after the bike gets some time on it, or it could also be a bearing that has picked up some rust from spending so much of its life sitting around. Does it have any other shifting problems?

It sounds like you have the master clutch plate(the only plate with the bigger opening) stacked in the clutch wrong. You should have, correct me if I'm wrong, 7 clutch plates of the same size and 1 plate with a bigger inside opening. This larger plate goes to the very outside of the stack, (or the pressure plate) This condition I refer to may cause intermittent dis-engagement, which I think you have.

Raven1911

Yeah the oil level is a bit higher than what it should be, but this prob arised a few rides after i did the change. I havent gone into the gearbox, but that will be on my to-do list if symptoms persist.

Hick

Forcing the bike into first when it doesn't want to shift could accelerate that wear
When i click down on the gear lever, there is no feeling. It just goes as far as possible then stops, like its not shifting into gear. There is no unordanary feel or pressure about it. It just didnt select

How hard is it to bent a shift fork ???

Does it weaken the basket (to the extent it could break under heavy abuse) if I drill a few extra holes in it to get more oil in???

grayracer513

or it could also be a bearing that has picked up some rust from spending so much of its life sitting around. Does it have any other shifting problems?
Are you talking about the bearing under the push lever ? or the one behind the push rod 1 ?

The only other prob i sometimes get aswell is under hard acceleration from 1st then into 2nd. It doesnt always engage, it engages netural. It doesnt slip from 2nd to nutural, and same-same going down gears, somtimes misses 1st and into nutural.

tom nolan

The 00' 426 has 8 clutch plates- correction :applause: but the pressure plate holdes the other plates / pushrods in place, and as it has a larger diameter, the clutch plate/s wouldnt fit on the other side due to it the bolts then clutch case ???

But you could also be saying i may be short one clutch plate ???