5W-30 in the Winter?

I am going to use my '98 YZ400 for some ice racing this year. I have never used the bike in the winter. The manual calls for 10W-40 in temperatures under 60 degrees. Has anyone ever used 5W-30 or know if there would be a problem running it?

Thanks,

5W-30 may be an EC oil. Look for that stamp on the bottle. If it's NOT there you should be OK.

I am going to use my '98 YZ400 for some ice racing this year. I have never used the bike in the winter. The manual calls for 10W-40 in temperatures under 60 degrees. Has anyone ever used 5W-30 or know if there would be a problem running it?

Thanks,

I was about to do the same but decided instead to hit up the Motodome. Ever been there? I'm going Sunday for my first time.

Have fun at motodome. I have two friends that will be racing there on sunday. For oil, I would run 10w-40. Thats what i run in my 250f. If you run anything thicker, lets say 15w-50, you will have a hard time with it. I dont know if 5w-30 is energy conserving or not. Also where are you gonna be racing on the ice?

I run 0-40 amsoil year round.

You could run a 0 weight oil.

I run 0-40 amsoil year round.

You could run a 0 weight oil.

Ditto! That is the toughest oil I have ever run in a bike

Yamaha offers a cold weather formula oil for the thumpers. Its thin. I think it helps the bikes fire up in the cold temps though. Ive used it for 2 years now with no troubles.

I use Rotella 15W40 year round, but I don't ride too much in 40 degree or less weather.