2005 Wr Mods

I HAVE A 2005 WR450F. I HAVE HAD THIS BIKE SINCE JULY. I TOOK THE BAFFLE OUT OF THE MUFFLER AND THE DEALERSHIP PUT THE YZ TROTTLE STOP SCREW IN IT. I HAVE THE AIS REMOVAL KIT ORDERED FROM YAMAHA BUT ITS ON BACKORDER AND I SHOULD HAVE IT BY CHRISTMAS. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT OTHER ' FREE MODS ' YOU GUYS ARE DOING TO YOUR WR'S. THIS IS MY FIRST DIRTBIKE AND FIRST 4STROKE OTHER THAN A TRX450R AND ITS A JOKE. i'M LEARNING HOW TO WORK THE CARB BUT THERE IS NO AIR SCREW.

QUESTIONS: WHAT DOES THE GREY WIRE DO?

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO FOR FREE?

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET AN AIR SCREW IN IT?

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

TRAVIS WILES

QUESTIONS: WHAT DOES THE GREY WIRE DO?

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO FOR FREE?

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET AN AIR SCREW IN IT?/QUOTE]

Question 1: The grey wire adjusts the ignition curve to YZ to allow for proper utilization of the complete throttle now that you've added the YZ throttle stop. The two go hand in hand.

Question 2: The grey wire mod.

Question 3: Buy a 2-Stroke. 4-Strokes have a fuel screw, not an air screw. You should pry out the cover over the pilot screw set and put in a Zip-Ty or other aftermarket fuel screw for "on the fly" adjustment. Also, make sure you have the bike jetted properly.

Lastly, take off the "Caps Lock". In forum-speak, it's like you're yelling and it's somewhat difficult to read. If you feel the bike is a joke, then you've not gotten it set up properly yet. Do a search for "free mods" and make sure you go to Thumper FAQ and pour over the info on that site, it's invaluable. After that, fire away with the questions but I'll bet with a little creative searching the question you have already has an answer somewhere in the archives...SC

I didn't say that the WR is a joke. If you could read, you would have seen that the TRX450R is a joke in my opinion. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings with the caps lock. I don't sit in front of the computer all day. I have a masonry contracting business not a office job. I guess I need to learn how to be a " computer dude " to ask questions on this site. :applause:

A person could read the "joke" clause in the original post either way--as meaning the WR or the TRX.

Other than being a SC fan, clark's a good guy and can offer lots of help!

Also, remove the "snorkel" from the airbox--another free mod.

If you could read, you would have seen that the TRX450R is a joke in my opinion.

dbailey summed up the "joke" issue. And don't get too upset with clark (or me for that matter). In clark terms, he was OVERLY accomodating. He's usually not that nice. :applause:

Seriously though, there is probably more info than you care to read if you do a search on "free mods", and also in the FAQ's at the top of the WR / YZ 250 forum.

Welcome to the forum. :ride:

Ooh, testy, testy :ride: . The grammatical construction of your sentence directs the "joke" comment back to the original subject, i.e. the WR, not the participle, i.e. the TRX. By the way, I'm not an office guy, I'm a Captain for the Reno Fire Department on the 9th busiest engine company in the country, with more than 15-years experience in the business. But I do have an office at the station, so...

I was merely trying to point out something I'm sure someone else would have mentioned before long. If you have an issue with constructive criticism, perhaps you need to explore that further. Other than that, good luck with the free mods... :applause: SC

In stock form, the WR is a great big joke. No doubt about it.

clark...

Sorry I don't take this stuff as seriously as you do, this is just something I do for fun...not a way of life.

This picture sums up why I am having such a hard time with these 4-strokes.

I took this bike from stock to FULL MX bike and rode it for over 5 years.

what picture???

FYI, unfortunately you can't upload pictures from your computer on this forum. You need to get a web host like Photobucket and then you can load them...SC

The picture is my avatar.

banshee's are cool, I can see your point.

Once you get your WR uncorked, jetted and runnung right, you will be "proud as punga!"

Maybe getting a JD jetting kit and a slip on muffler for it will help.

I found that changing my exhaust system (to procircuit Ti GP lowboy full system) the best mod of all. The stock muffler is sooo restricted, the exhaust gasses do a couple of passes in it before getting sent out that pea shooter.

If you are unsure of the grey wire mod, you could always get a vortex ignition. They are straight plug in and roost away. The vortex ignition is 10 times better than grey wire mod, but not free. You can change wich ignition map you want to use, even on the fly.

I'll get it straightend out in a couple of months. It's sleeting and snowing at the moment. I have been bricking the 1/3 owner of the local Honda shop's garage. He has been there since like 1982. He has really enlightend me on "carb setup". He raced a XR600 for a while and has done countless 250R's and CR's. He told me what to look for and how to remedy the problem. My problem was that Banshee's and 250R's aren't 4strokes and don't have FCR carb's. I knew how to jet them but the WR started off bad. It didn't run right when I bought it. I took it back and bitched and bitched and bitched untill I just went and got it. They said it was fine but when "I" took the carb apart "myself" the pilot jet was almost completely stopped up and I took the needle/main jet out with a half a turn of my fingers. The little things were what I don't know. When I buy a 4 wheeler, the first thing i do is take all the usless things off which is nearly EVERYTHING, literally. I was disappointed with the TRX450R. I expected it to be more like a 250R. A stock R is weak but it handles great. The 450 either it was there or not with the motor and the handling sucks. I am 6'1" and 240lbs. I could have lapped myself on a stock banshee with 18" back tires compared to the 450R with a full set of HoleShots. I bought the WR to start over. I ride at Turkey Bay in LBL. It is on the lake with steep hills and a lot gravel. The 450R did ok but the stock suspension was BAD. I got used to long travel ZPS's and to put the set up I had on my Banshee on the 450R was going to cost the same amount at the new WR 450F cost so I gave the 450R to my wife and bought a bike. Thats my story. I love the WR. I'll get it figured out soon. I am glad I found this site. With the 4wheelers there are a million sites about modifying one but with the bikes, your on your own from what I can tell. You guys have told me everything I need to know to get started.

I'll get it straightend out..... You guys have told me everything I need to know to get started.

I learned everything I know about my bike right here in a matter of a few weeks. There are tons of people willing to help and tons of info to be had.

Thanks guys! :applause: