Long distance trip advice

I`m going on a long distande trip (50,00 km plus) in a new XR650L, a lot of dual sport riding.(very little hardcore off-road, although the bike will be heavy with all my stuff)

How many tires, chains, sprockets, oil, services, etc. I`ll have to go through?

Any advice is welcomed! Thanks.

you DEFINITELY will want to 'uncork' your engine, re-jetting the carb, etc ... it is terribly lean from the factory, making the engine run much hotter than normal ... do not allow anything to block cooling air to the engine, so watch how you load the bike ... run a synthetic oil, it stands high heat better, and change that oil very frequently ... enjoy your trip .. better throw a sheepskin on that seat to save your ass, too ... :applause:

Once the motor is broken in I would go with the synthetic motorcycle oil. Just so that you wont have to change it as frequently. Just get used to how far you can run with out having to add oil. Dont let the bike get low on oil and you should be fine. Uncorking the bike would be a good start and as for the rest of your questions the chain and sprockets will go along way depending how you ride. Stock tires 4k maybe? The tubes that come with these tires are made of latex so you might want to think about changing those out after you start replacing a set of tires or two.

Hey Mac, I'm selling an '03 XRL with 3400ish on it. Desmogged, uni filter, needle shimmed, skid plate, Clarke 4.0 (stock tank and shrouds are mint), renthals, Rack-It billett tail rack, extra set of 756's, and a few more minor accessories. No break-in required, proven reliability, and is in excellent condition. A lot less than a new one and it's the same bike. $3900 firm...PM me with your email info if you're interested and I'll send you some pics.

If you uncork your bike, which isn't a bad idea, buy ear plugs. Not that it'll be too loud overall, but if you're droaning down the road all day, a loud exhaust will wear you out just as if the road was non-stop woops.

If you wanted to really keep tabs, you could put an hour meter on the engine and change the oil at 15 hours.

Forget the xrl and get a xr650r. Liquid cooled, more power, and lighter. There are many companys that sell street legal kits for these. www.bajadesigns.com This would stand up better to that long journey. Just a thought.

that is an erroneous statement ... Im not trying to start the same tired old " L vs R " arguments, but you will find VERY FEW 'L' mechanical issues mentioned in these forums, but the same cant be said for the 'R' ... its had many more mechanical problems than any 'L' ... yes, they go faster, are lighter, and handle better ... they are NOT as reliable as the 'L' ... :applause:

MexicoMac - Are you reading what these guys are saying? Just checking since you just have a few posts total.

I have MANY XR's, both L's and R's, for many years, and they get more miles than your typical XR's....so here's my peso worth.....

I'm guessing you're riding from Texas far into Mexico and back, is that correct?

Yes on the 'L' model - No on the 'R' model.

The L will be better and more comfortable for what you're doing.

Uncorked, yes, but with stock exhaust minus little insert.

Earplugs, yes.

Synthetic oil, no. For where you'll be you should run standard 20-50 because it's extremely unlikely you will ever find synthetic oil available. Run what you'll be able to find when down South. It will be completely fine.

Bring a few extra oil filters and shoot for changes every 1K miles

Your stock chain will likely be good. If you're changing it go with a DID ERV2 or 3.

You'll get all sorts of suggestions about tires but my choice would be a Karoo on the rear and a 606 in front both with Bridgestone UH tubes.

Balance your wheels.

Like someone said, ask similar questions on ADVrider.com and tell them where you're going. Somone there might be able to turn you onto a place along your journey where you can buy new tires.

Some sort of added on windscreen would be nice.

Have fun!

First off, where ya going? I'd suggest you read this thread about a guy from Wisconsin that rode a DR650 to Alaska and back, similar bikes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83480&highlight=alaska

The XR650L is a great bike, don't let anyone tell you different. Uncork it like they said and you'll want to add an aftermarket tank so you don't have to stop for gas as much. For luggage check out the Happy Trail website, some good stuff there.

A couple other things you may want to look into is an Oil Cooler, one off an XR400 works, and a Scotoiler for the chain, it helps make the chain last much longer.

Tires are up to you but ask yourself if your really going to need knobbies. I love the Dunlop D606's and get at least 3 thousand out of a pair. If your thinking about going 50,000KM ( 31,000+ miles ) you may want to compromise. If your outside the states you may have to take whatever you can get. Some guys get great mileage out of the Kenda K270's and also the Pirelli MT90 scorpion AT may work if your looking at doing alot of pavement and some gravel.

I've always put on 2-3 thousand between oil changes, if your putting on some big miles, is changing it every 1000 really feasable?

Thank you very much for all the advice, I was on the road (dirt) and I am catching up with "life"

I'm planning on doing a very extensive ride through Mexico's dirt roads. I can`t buy a bike in USA, because I'll have to do the importation paperwork to take down to Mexico.

I have organized a delivery system so a friend will Fedex me all the stuff I need during the trip so I can travel VERY light. I’ve spoken to the Metzeler distributor and we are going to also schedule, so the local dealers have my tires around the date I will be needing them, as well as the oil.

One big change is the bike choosing, Honda is offering a new bike, the XR250 Tornado, (www.honda.com.mx) which I`ve been told has the 250 engine and chassis, electric start and a suspension more pavement oriented, a friend in the Horizons Unlimited forum told me that the same bike is sold in Brazil, and for overlanding travel the suspension should be good enough.

Let me know what you think!!!

Mexico Mac

Thank you very much for all the advice, I was on the road (dirt) and I am catching up with "life"

I'm planning on doing a very extensive ride through Mexico's dirt roads. I can`t buy a bike in USA, because I'll have to do the importation paperwork to take down to Mexico.

I have organized a delivery system so a friend will Fedex me all the stuff I need during the trip so I can travel VERY light. I’ve spoken to the Metzeler distributor and we are going to also schedule, so the local dealers have my tires around the date I will be needing them, as well as the oil.

One big change is the bike choosing, Honda is offering a new bike, the XR250 Tornado, (www.honda.com.mx) which I`ve been told has the 250 engine and chassis, electric start and a suspension more pavement oriented, a friend in the Horizons Unlimited forum told me that the same bike is sold in Brazil, and for overlanding travel the suspension should be good enough.

Let me know what you think!!!

Mexico Mac

A 250? Are you serious? Dude, I see misery in your future...I don't understand why you need "importation papers". Are you a resident of Mexico? If not, you're not importing, just vacationing. I crossed the border in Laredo and drove down to Acapulco and there were no special requirements other than getting mexican insurance to make sure no pistoleros left me high and dry.

Yes, I'm Mexican, so to introduce a bike , I need have it legalize and pay taxes, all in all around 45% of the actual value of the bike.. not worth it.

I'll try to go light, I hope is LESS misery than a large bike. I tried a XR650L and was way to high for me! Perhaps with a little practrice I could ride it...

50,000 on an XR250. Just that sentence begs the writer to be committed to an asylum.

Id suggest along with the oil and tires, you have them send a new cylinder head assmebly, piston, cylinder at Minimum. Your best be would be to have a new bike waiting at the randomly located dealerships.

I wish you luck.

Do me and the rest a gigantic favor. Keep a detail journal of your exploits, because I want to read all about this. Id flinch at this ride on a TransAlp let alone an XR250, and those Tornado things are Chinese.

David Pingree entered the last Glen Helen National on one...he got half a lap...it wouldnt go up the hill... :applause:

Have you looked at the NX4 Falcon? 400CC sounds a little better than a 250! The XL1000 Varadero would be an awesome bike for the trip your taking, but it costs alot.

I'd love to do a big loop of Mexico, I think that would be a great trip.