HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OlaGB

Driving below 0 degrees celsius

12 posts in this topic

Driving the bike around at about 0 to -10 celsius now..

Wondering if i have to cover one of my radiators for running in the cold.. Feels like the engine is not running hot enough, but its hard to tell how hot it is, or should be..

Do YOU cover youre radiator`s?

Not sure about covering the Rads, but, have you changed the jetting for altitude and temperature? This will make a huge difference in how the bike runs in the cold. :applause:

Wondering if i have to cover one of my radiators for running in the cold.. Feels like the engine is not running hot enough, but its hard to tell how hot it is, or should be..

THANK GOD I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA

My bike just got a JD kit, and running on 170mj right now.. thinking of bigger jet, but the spark plug is`nt that white actually..

ossidog:

I envy you sometimes, BUT.. You should try to run a set of these at wintertime, on ice or hard snow..!! DAMN it sticks like glue! driving tight corners in 60mph, doing wheelies out of them!! :applause:

454_Full.jpg

Rode my 450 all last winter with open rads, didn't notice any weirdness, other

than my oil got milky after a while. Though I believe snow and ice entered the crank breather tube?

I don't, but I live in Tucson, AZ......we don't normally get cold enough, long enough to worry about it. But, if you live where it does stay that cold all day, YES, cover a rad...it WILL help. Why do you think they make the covers for big rig rads...

I rode this past weekend in about 32 degrees F. My 05 WR 450 didn't run well at all. The idle was all over the place{fast, slow, stall}. I thought there was something wrong with it , but my friend said his wasn't running well either. It's going to be a long winter!

John

Duct Tape off the air flow to half of each radiator. Now get some large gauge diameter copper wire and run it from the engine head or exhaust pipe to each side to the carb. This helps keep the carb from icing up. If you have a machine shop make a brass or aluminum intake boot to conduct heat back to the carb body.

iam riding mine day to day in that weather and it runs crappy,iam running the blue on #5 a 48 pilot ,2 out ,172 main.

just runs crap on the bottom or even part throttle cruising specially.i had a temp gauge on the bar at cruisng/windchill on the road and it was -7.****.