More power from alternator on XR650L?

How can I get more power for lights and accessories on my L model?

When my blinkers flash, I can see that it causes my headlight to dim just a little bit.

I know that members have rewound their stators for R models. Does the same hold true for the L? :applause:

Hey,

Your L should have plenty of juice for a standard setup. If your battery is old, or your bike has been sitting for a long time, I think your battery is very weak. Trickle charge it, or just put some miles on your bike at high speed to get some charge into that battery.

If you are interested though, look here for an XR600 stator rewind. This will be the closest to your bike.

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/XRStatorRewind.html

I thought those HID lights took les juice from the system than stock?

I don't have HID lights. I have a really big single headlight and I am currently using a Piaa 55/60=110/130 watt bulb. Originally I had a 90/100 watt bulb and it was a little brighter. I found some 110/130 watt bulbs I would like to run, but I should beef up my wiring first (according to the bulb maker).

As it is now, when my blinker blinks, I see the headlight dim just a little bit. I am in the process of switching to ultra bright led blinkers, but I would still need a load equalizer to make the flasher work.

There is a $300 solution for your problem. It is a different bridge rectifier. Some HD riders buy it because they don't like their headlights dimming from their blinkers either.

Or you could try a higher amperage full wave voltage rectifier from "Radio snack."

Look at the post from Newfoundlander from 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM

on this thread: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261445

I would try this, but I don't mind the minor drop in output from my headlight when the blinkers are on.

I've run the 55w/60w PIAA. It seemed brighter that the 80w/80w PIAA that I have in there right now. The standard Halogen H4 80w/100w seemed to put out more light than either one of those, at least for me.

• 2 months later...
I was told by these folks that their ESG440 will fit and is higher output than stock. I'll be ordering one later this month. http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_lc_honda.html

I had Baja Designs rewind my XR400 stator, but they don't do that for the 650L.

Electrosport told me the same thing, that the ESG440 is higher output than stock. 2x100W. however they also told me that their direct replacement stator puts out 260W. I am a bit confused by those numbers. is the replacement 200W over the stock? is that even possible to fit that much wire in there?

They also list the ESG440 as fitting the XR650R model, they only list a stock replacement for the 650L (not a higher output version) They claim these are interchangeable. (i looked up the Honda stock numbers for each, they are different numbers from Honda, so i am also a bit confused/leary of that claim. They should surely know there own product, it just sounds odd is all. Does anyone have any insights on this?

just read the rewind article,very informative and nicely explained.Still I have a few questions.Does the L model still has 6 poles without windings,if so ,do I have to upgrade the regulator/rectifier to withstand the higher output/what about the wiring? Thanks for the info.

I read on another forum that the L puts out 188 watts at 5000 rpms.

I changed my battery after I started this thread, and that seemed to help a little. I have also ran new #12 wires from the battery to the ignition switch and then to a relay for the 130 watt headlight. That helped alot. ? Then I also installed a service switch for the headlight so I could turn it off when it is not needed. And a new ground strap from the motor to the chassis then to the battery. Led blinkers, tail light and a variable load blinker relay also took a big load off and I don't seem to notice the dimming any more.

Long live the death ray ?

I read on another forum that the L puts out 188 watts at 5000 rpms.

I changed my battery after I started this thread, and that seemed to help a little. I have also ran new #12 wires from the battery to the ignition switch and then to a relay for the 130 watt headlight. That helped alot. ? Then I also installed a service switch for the headlight so I could turn it off when it is not needed. And a new ground strap from the motor to the chassis then to the battery. Led blinkers, tail light and a variable load blinker relay also took a big load off and I don't seem to notice the dimming any more.

Long live the death ray :bonk:

Hey Tread,

I want to free up some wattage also, where did you pick up the LED blinker bulbs from? I grabbed a new blinker relay a few days ago but i forgot to get bulbs when i was there. :bonk: what are they 1073's? 1156's? wait... arent those interchangeable? Too many numbers to remember them all.

what did they run ya? ?

Hey Tread,

I want to free up some wattage also, where did you pick up the LED blinker bulbs from? I grabbed a new blinker relay a few days ago but i forgot to get bulbs when i was there. :eek: what are they 1073's? 1156's? wait... arent those interchangeable? Too many numbers to remember them all.

what did they run ya? ?

Howdy HC

I didn't use led conversion bulbs on the school bus blinkers that were on the bike, I tossed them and mounted hyper bright led strips on my acerbis hand guards in the front (40 bucks), and some cheap azz plastic led blinkers in the rear (20 bucks). There are half as many led lights on the blinkers as they are on the tail light.

The Baja designs tail light uses 0.06 watts on run and 0.4 watts on brake and includes license plate lights (like 60 bucks I think).

If all my blinkers were to magically blink at once, and I hit the brakes, it would only use about 2.0 watts! Compare that to the stock 23 watt bulbs (123 watts total!) :bonk: Heck, the neutral light alone (3.4 watts) uses more power than all my other LED lights combined???????

Dang-this doesn't sound right. My abacus must be broke. :eek:

ooh yeah...make sure your blinker relay is variable load with LEDs or the blinkers won't blink. ? Try to stay away from the aftermarket splice in load equalizers, cause they soak up a bunch of watts to trick the OEM blinker relay into blinking..Thats why my lights were dimming with the blinkers. :bonk:

Long live the death ray! :bonk: