HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troutman

Big 06 450 Purchase Decision

36 posts in this topic

Well it is finally here! I am the proverbial 1st on the list for the 450 and have not put any money down as of today, I am supposed to go down to the dealer make the deal and pick it up tomorrow. Now this dealer only has one and the next dealer, an hour away, sold both of his before they made it to the floor and is not getting another shipment until February. I have been hearing all the good prices people have been getting and I know this dealer will charge MSRP + all fees + TT & L. So I have begun to doubt myself, should I wait until spring or should I pay top dollar and give into my impulses. It is 30 degrees here and there will not be any real good riding until spring, but it is hard to resist the blue beauty. Any ideas? :applause::ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all you man. If I knew I couldn't ride till spring, I'd probably hold out. Though, I feel where you're coming from on the resisting the impulse thing. Just fight it and wait until you can get it cheaper, especially if you're making payments. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you decide to wait, make sure you don't go to the dealership until you're ready to buy. One look :ride: (assuming there's even one on the floor) and, just like prom night, all your resolve to wait will disappear :applause: . That being said, I know your dilemma. I've bought all my bikes in November and look where I live. There's 16 inches of snow on the ground and I'm still tempted to go have a look. Good luck with this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well it is finally here! I am the proverbial 1st on the list for the 450 and have not put any money down as of today, I am supposed to go down to the dealer make the deal and pick it up tomorrow. Now this dealer only has one and the next dealer, an hour away, sold both of his before they made it to the floor and is not getting another shipment until February. I have been hearing all the good prices people have been getting and I know this dealer will charge MSRP + all fees + TT & L. So I have begun to doubt myself, should I wait until spring or should I pay top dollar and give into my impulses. It is 30 degrees here and there will not be any real good riding until spring, but it is hard to resist the blue beauty. Any ideas? :applause::ride:

If you are 100% sure you won't be able to ride until spring and/or you still have your trusty 426F handy , you should wait. I can almost guarantee that Yamaha will be discounting these bikes come Feb/Mar/April. By that time, most of the non-hardcore Yamaha riders will already have been on their Orange/Yellow/Red/Green 450F's for up to 8 months already & looking to hold out for the '07's to hit in August! Yamaha will be offering their dealers an incentive and you should be able to get an '06 (blue or yellow) for a great price! Probably $5900-$6100 range. Dealer cost is $5800 give or take. If Yamaha corporate is kicking in a $500 incentive, the dealers will still make $600-$800 per unit. As great as I think this bike will be, it's way to late to market. Take advantage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you are 100% sure you won't be able to ride until spring and/or you still have your trusty 426F handy , you should wait. I can almost guarantee that Yamaha will be discounting these bikes come Feb/Mar/April. By that time, most of the non-hardcore Yamaha riders will already have been on their Orange/Yellow/Red/Green 450F's for up to 8 months already & looking to hold out for the '07's to hit in August! Yamaha will be offering their dealers an incentive and you should be able to get an '06 (blue or yellow) for a great price! Probably $5900-$6100 range. Dealer cost is $5800 give or take. If Yamaha corporate is kicking in a $500 incentive, the dealers will still make $600-$800 per unit. As great as I think this bike will be, it's way to late to market. Take advantage!

Agreed - do not over pay for it because it is brand new.......wait until the dealer drops his pants.... :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input guys. I am beginning to lean toward purchasing the bike tonight. I guess it will all depend on the final deal. I will let all of you know tomorrow.

Also Does anyone know what i should expect for a trade-in price on the 2000 426 in great shape in my garage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dealer is in New Mexico, not LA. Snub any attempt to go beyond MSRP+(stuff), and make sure the (stuff) is reasonable and legit.

Even in NM, sometime between now and the spring, the sun is going to come out for a couple of days... Is it worth $300-400 to miss that?

Buy it.

My $.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Does anyone know what i should expect for a trade-in price on the 2000 426 in great shape in my garage?

Sorry to say, but expect to be selling your 426. I wouldnt expect more than 1500 for it as a trade-in.

Good luck,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't pay more just to satisfy an impulse but im notoriously cheap and buy used bikes just to avoid this quandry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your in NM and you cant ride??? I thought NM was in the South! And you wonder why I moved to NC???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you can ride but most of the access will be cut off due to snow soon. I live in northern New Mexico north of Santa Fe @ 8000' hence the cold. Gray you would think that this is not LA but Santa Fe is incredibly expensive and with only one bike in stock and a list behind me I am afraid that I don't have much room to negotiate, but I think I agree with not passing it up for $400. Moto I am also notoriously cheep and have only bought used bikes in the past but I am now "gradumated" as they say and would like a brand new ride for once in my life. Well I am off now to the dealer thanks all for your input. I will let you know if he was gentle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troutman, Good luck with the dealer....would be a good Christmas gift to yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troutman, Good luck with the dealer....would be a good Christmas gift to yourself!

Yeah, good wishes. You can't fault a fella for buying a new bike, man, there's nothing like having a brand new scoot regardless of the cost. It truly is YOURs.

Merry Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i guess I chickend out for now. Heres the deal they offered, they offered me $2000 for my trade, (2000 426 good shape), and $6899 for the bike + $400 for setup and destination = $5299 for the bike out the door without TT&L and including trade. I have asked them to waive the $400 set up and destination charge to equal $4900 out the door without TT&L and trade if I pay cash today, they are calling me back. Do you think this would be a decent deal ? I never knew trying to buy a new bike would be so stressful!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2k for your trade is pretty damn good. If they can meet you at your 4900 or between that and the 5299, it wouldnt be too bad i dont think. good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying a new bike is like buying a new car. Dealer cost for a 2006 YZ450F is right around $5800...so they are making 1K right there off of you. 6899 is retail so that is no deal in my opinion. The 2K trade for your bike is a decent deal though. I would figure probably about $500 for TTL. $5299 OTD in the back of your truck would be a good deal.

What you have to ask yourself is what is a good deal or you? Don't worry about the prices that are posted here. If he won't come down ask him to make you a prefered customer and get 15% off of parts or something if you want the bike bad and can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well i guess I chickend out for now. Heres the deal they offered, they offered me $2000 for my trade, (2000 426 good shape), and $6899 for the bike + $400 for setup and destination = $5299 for the bike out the door without TT&L and including trade. I have asked them to waive the $400 set up and destination charge to equal $4900 out the door without TT&L and trade if I pay cash today, they are calling me back. Do you think this would be a decent deal ? I never knew trying to buy a new bike would be so stressful!!

You need to separate the real cost of the bike out from the trade in.

So you're telling us the cost of the bike is.....7299

Judging from what other people have paid for the bike, I'm not sure how to answer that.

Your 426 can probably fetch 2000 on the market. You should sell that yourself. You might even get upwards of 2500 maybe.

So you are paying top dollar on the 06 and getting a low price on your trade in.

What if you were to get lucky and go find a dealer that would sell the bike for 6500.

And you sold your bike and pocketed your cash for 2200.

Net cost 4300.

Your best deal to them is 4900. That's 600 bones saved to spend on goodies. You may save more as I doubt they come down in price the way you described them.

The first deal they offered you was 5299? Look at that cost difference now? :ride:

I'm glad you're paying cash. You have all the bargaining chips. Make them sweat.

Drive down to Phoenix or Vegas and get a way better deal. :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well i guess I chickend out for now. Heres the deal they offered, they offered me $2000 for my trade, (2000 426 good shape), and $6899 for the bike + $400 for setup and destination = $5299 for the bike out the door without TT&L and including trade. I have asked them to waive the $400 set up and destination charge to equal $4900 out the door without TT&L and trade if I pay cash today, they are calling me back. Do you think this would be a decent deal ? I never knew trying to buy a new bike would be so stressful!!

I'm with Grey on the idea that it's worth it (to me) to spend a little extra earlier so I have the bike I want for a surprise sunny day....that being said, do you have to do it now?? I think $2k for your trade is quite fair, and I also think that if you wait another 6 weeks (at most) you'll be able to pit a few dealers against eachother to start whittling down the cost. It all comes down to how bad you want the bike. A good deal to someone may not be a good deal to someone else.

So, how bad do you want it? and how bad do you want it NOW?

Answer those questions and you'll be seeing the value a little clearer, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well no call back yet but it is making me crazy! One minute I am definitely going to buy it then the next minute I am not. I am almost thinking that I will not be happy either way. I did not expect it to be like this. Anyway thanks everyone for all of your advice it helps me put things into perspective. I will keep you posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0