Fork Question

I've got a leaking left fork seal on my '02 426. I finally did it in after countless cases and flat landings. I'm going riding fo sho on Saturday because it's my birthday (20). It's leaking fairly bad, and it's just sitting there. I go outside everyday to check on it and the little puddle keeps getting bigger by a few drops a day. I'm wondering if it would be that bad for me to go on the track Saturday. I fiigured I'd just stiffen that side up a couple of clicks and go as is. Just wondering how much damage that could do to the insides of that fork. I'm getting them re-done pretty soon. Thanks for you help.

If I were you, personally in the least I would do what's suggested above and then reset the oil level in the fork. The compression damping adjustment, and the oil level have different effects on the fork. You might get some funny results with one fork low or out of oil and the other full.

If I were you, personally in the least I would do what's suggested above and then reset the oil level in the fork. The compression damping adjustment, and the oil level have different effects on the fork. You might get some funny results with one fork low or out of oil and the other full.

Didn't Marzocchi or some mid80s Euro forks have rebound in one leg and compression in another? I could swear there was some dumb thing like that back in the day? :applause:

Didn't Marzocchi or some mid80s Euro forks have rebound in one leg and compression in another? I could swear there was some dumb thing like that back in the day? :applause:
A buddy of mine has a fairly new GasGas that is set up like this. Confuses me to even think about it.

'davej' has a report on his setup with the older 46 kyb's in the suspension forum called 'isolating the circuits part 1 and part 2' or something to that effect. anyway he states how he has seperated the rebound in one leg and compression in the other(just like the marzocchis) with much success. quite interesting :applause: btw a little difference between the 2 legs shouldn't be bad but if you lose too much oil, one leg will be doing all the damping and the results might be a little damaging to your health,i don't think it would hurt the fork much :ride:

Yes they did, and I think they may still make forks that way. But they are designed to be that way. I'm not sure I would want to ride a bike in which one of the forks was suddenly converted to a pogo stick and the other fork not adjusted to make up for the difference. :ride:

Could someone explain how you would check to see if dirt is making it leak? Do you have take off the fork to do it? Is it quick and what do I use? I don't have ANY money so I can't buy seals right now. Any quick fix ideas would help. Also, I can't even afford the fork oil, and if I did, I don't know what to get or how much it costs. In other words, if a quck fix won't work, I'm screwed for the next couple of months. If it keeps leaking, can I just turn the leaky one a few clicks to make up for it? I just blew all my money on my girlfriend. :applause: She's worth it though.

take an old film negative,or i've done it with a piece of goggle tearoff also;slide the dust seal down carefully with a flathead screwdriver,then push the negative up past the oil seal and go in and out with it,you'll see the dirt come out. and if that was it it'll stop leaking :applause:

I know this is a newb question, but is that the part with the spring band thing on it? I really haven't ever done my won suspension. I'd have Pro Privateer do it, but now they're 3 hours away as I have moved. Can someone put a picture in paint and show me what the hell this thing is? Sorry for the trouble guys, but I'm out of options.

I know this is a newb question, but is that the part with the spring band thing on it? I really haven't ever done my won suspension. I'd have Pro Privateer do it, but now they're 3 hours away as I have moved. Can someone put a picture in paint and show me what the hell this thing is? Sorry for the trouble guys, but I'm out of options.

Yeah the thing with the spring band thing is the dust seal. So put a flathead screwdriver between the outer fork tube and the dust seal and twist sideways. when once the dust seal is down. You will see the oil seal. Then put a tearoff or film negative up there between the inner fork tube and the oil seal.

Guys, dumb question here. It is my understanding that dirt & moisture is the # 1 culprit to cause seals to start leaking the oil in forks. If this is true, how come newer bikes don't have the fork booties like the older ones did? Seems like a real worthwhile investment even though this may be old school. I haven't even bothered to look to see if they even sell them anymore.

Also, I had 1st thought I had blown my seals by compressing them too hard with my tie-downs on my trailer. I know there are many devices out there you can buy to help minimize the stress on your forks during traveling to the track (I have also read the posts on how to make them out of 2x4's) but I honestly think this is an urban legend.

Thoughts?

I had a damper adjustment screw break one time, broke all the way out, and my suspension guy said that it the suspension would work fine. (kinda like the comments mentioned about the one fork rebound, one fork compression) What he said makes sense.

He said that the fork is basically forced to work together to accomplish the suspension characteristics. It will take away alot of adjustment though. If it did not work together, and the different set-ups of each fork fought against each other, then you would have a bent axle.

It made sense to me, but I am from a real small hick town in North West TX.

Sorry I didn't look in the suspension section first. Didn't mean to waste your time man. I'm an impatient 20 year old....you know how that goes :applause: . Thanks for the help. I can't believe that tiny little amount of dirt can cause a leak like that. Amazing :ride: .

Well I am even a more impatient 14 year old..so yes I know how it goes.lol :applause: But when you do get around to doing the fork seal it is sooooo easy but all you need is to make a couple of tools. And the directions are here http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/ But if you can't decide on fork oil I would get amsoil 10wt or Mobil 1 ATF synthetic for $6 a quart available at I think only Autozone. I use Mobil 1 ATF synthetic. But I think you can buy K&L oil seals for only $10.