Who has done the Blue wire mod??

Thanks, doesn't sound like I will be trying it then. My bike starts pretty well. I have heard though that someone makes a YZ426 cam mod instead of the 450 as I have heard the 450 cam mod messes with the jetting and is not as good???

Hot Cams makes a replacement cam that gives more performance than the stock 426 cam as well as adding the auto decompression. If anything you would have to rejet for that.

The 450 cam went into my bike with no rejetting and also gave some performance gains. The 450 swap was never intended as a performance cam swap, but strictly a way to add auto decompression to the older models. The slight performance gains were just a bonus.

The fact that it took forever for Hot Cams to get an aftermarket cam available allowed the 450 swap to get a foothold on the market. I gaurantee you there are way more people running the 450 cam than the Hot Cams and so far there have been zero complaints. However, there are still some people in denial though, and anything resembling "backyard' engineering scares them. They'd rather wait until a 'correct' replacement is available. That's fine for them, but some of them also have a bad habbit of bad mouthing what they don't understand. :applause:

Blue wire is the neutral sense.

It tells the CDI that you are not in gear, which cuts the rev limiter to, IIRC, 7k, and it also reduces the voltage to the primary side of the coil.

Supposedly, cutting it (thereby increasing the voltage available in neutral) makes for easier starts. It has NO impact on in-gear tuning or performance.

Wanna see if it'll do you any good? Start it in neutral, then pop it in gear and start it in gear. That's the difference you'll get with starting.

Wanna see if it'll do you any good? Start it in neutral, then pop it in gear and start it in gear. That's the difference you'll get with starting.

Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. My bike starts similar to a two stroke in either neutral(1 to 3 kicks) or in gear with the clutch pulled(1 to 5 kicks), i.e., a little more difficult in gear. Where would cutting the blue wire help me?

:applause:

• 3 months later...

I did the blue-wire mod...couldn't tell much of a difference. Also did the mod that removes that goofy gear position switch, and covered it with a cool blue anodized plate (Zip Ty Racing). May have knocked an ounce off the bike, but other that that, can't really tell...maybe it starts easier, never had a problem there.