ESeries is too loud

Just bought an '02 XR650L (stock, 5800 miles). PO had installed a White Bros. ESeries slip-on, but it's *WAY* too loud for my tastes. I've got a FMF PowerCore IV2 on my XR400 and it's not nearly as loud. Not even in the same ballpark so to speak... :ride:

Is this just how they are or is the Eseries adjustable somehow? Maybe need repacking? It looks to have the spark arrestor/screen piece in place, but I don't know if that means anything. :applause:

I'd rather not replace the exhaust, but will shell out the $$$ if I must. Right now she's so loud the Harley guys I pass cover their ears... :p

Open to suggestions...

sounds like my bike but thats one of the main reasons i bought it, it sounds so good. you gotta look at the packing to see if it needs repacking and you can get "quiet" packing, there is a large assortment of packing that claim to make it a little quieter and last 10 times longer......ive never tried them. there is a 96db insert for my yoshimura......dont know if there is for eseries.

yes they are that loud.2 of my buddies have them on yz450's and they are loud when new or old.they have the race series though which are not end cap tuneable.you may be able to remove discs on yours which will quiet it down.I think it may move your power curve also.try an fmf Q if you want quiet.

Earplugs work great............ :applause:

I have an e-series on my 400 and it is very loud, I got the big gun evo on my 600r, and its very quite and performs well!

Just bought an '02 XR650L (stock, 5800 miles). PO had installed a White Bros. ESeries slip-on, but it's *WAY* too loud for my tastes. I've got a FMF PowerCore IV2 on my XR400 and it's not nearly as loud. Not even in the same ballpark so to speak... :ride:

Is this just how they are or is the Eseries adjustable somehow? Maybe need repacking? It looks to have the spark arrestor/screen piece in place, but I don't know if that means anything. :applause:

I'd rather not replace the exhaust, but will shell out the $$$ if I must. Right now she's so loud the Harley guys I pass cover their ears... :p

Open to suggestions...

I'll trade you for my stocker.

I have the e-series on my R. My bike was loud when I bought it. Someone on the board told me to go with the quiet insert. I run 12 discs with the quiet insert. I had it checked last weekend by the AMA it was 93.5db ,it is pretty quiet now. I bet it was over 100db's before I added the quiet insert.

I'll trade you for my stocker.

Um, I'll pass on that... :applause:

Assuming I can't get it quieter, I'll be replacing it in the next few weeks and can put you first on the list for dibs if you'd like. Honeslty, dunno what they're worth just yet.

I have the e-series on my R. My bike was loud when I bought it. Someone on the board told me to go with the quiet insert. I run 12 discs with the quiet insert. I had it checked last weekend by the AMA it was 93.5db ,it is pretty quiet now. I bet it was over 100db's before I added the quiet insert.

Going to have to look into this disc thing. Didn't realize it's like a SuperTrap and "tunable". Maybe something so simple will make me happy... :applause:

Earplugs work great............ :ride:

:applause:

I haven't ridden anything (quads, bikes, snowmobiles) for years without earplugs.

Its nice at the end of the day not to have your ears ringing from wind noise in your helmet, not to mention exhaust noise.

Um, I'll pass on that... :applause:

Assuming I can't get it quieter, I'll be replacing it in the next few weeks and can put you first on the list for dibs if you'd like. Honeslty, dunno what they're worth just yet.

I'd definately be interested.

Don't give up on the E series just yet. I run a header, 12 discs and a quiet core insert and I test right at 96.0 db with approximately 2 years of use on the muffler.

I curious guys, just how much weight do you cut off the bike by going with a after market silencer like the E-Series?

I curious guys, just how much weight do you cut off the bike by going with a after market silencer like the E-Series?

I guess you drop approximately 2 lbs.? If your that concerned about shaving a few pounds off your bike a good diet and regular exercise will help shed more pounds off your bike then switching your exhaust.JMHO.

I never actaully weighed them, but the E-series feels heavy. I have one for my XR250 that came with the bike. I put the stock muffler back on for now because the WB is so loud. I was thinking about getting the quiet insert. If I get one, I'll weigh them both.

I have the Pro Circuit T4 pipe on my L and it's also pretty loud. I'm going to try replacing the packing and see if that helps.

:applause:

I guess you drop approximately 2 lbs.? If your that concerned about shaving a few pounds off your bike a good diet and regular exercise will help shed more pounds off your bike then switching your exhaust.JMHO.

I'm not really concerned about trying to shed any weight off a 300 lb bike (when all the fluids are in it). I was just trying to understand why anyone would go with an after market pipe when dyno tests have repeatedly indicated the stock exhaust out performs most aftermarket exhausts. To put good money out on exhaust gives the least gains if any for the buck. Now if your after a certain sound then I understand.

Two pounds just ain't worth it. For me it would have to be close to 10 lbs and 5 more h.p. before I would consider it. The unit has to provide a considerable pay back benefits in order for me to put up with a loud bike.

I lost 7 pounds going to an XRs only full system.