Time to part with my beloved thumper

My XR650L is up for sale

link

Thats a bit much for a 99'

The amount of work thats been done on this bike makes it well worth the price. This bike rips faster than any 650L I have ever seen. I have put a hell of alot of time and money into this bike. I would go as low as 3500.

The price is only a few hundred too high, but I would put the other gas tank on for the photos.. That tank makes the bike look nasty.. :applause:

I agree about the tank. And unfortunately, most of us find out sooner or later that hop-up money doesn't translate into higher selling prices. I have about 15k in my '03 Banshee, but I would be lucky to get 5k for it - so I will never sell it; but I knew that going in so no regrets. It looks like a real clean bike tho, you may hook up with the right buyer.

So true, you can spend a fortune and you will never get it all back.. People just wont pay retail for what you think the bike needed.. Like the guys 650L, motor work almost never makes you money, most people prefer a good running engine that hasn't had a bolt cracked on it, and sometimes that is a better way to go cause you dont know the quality of the work.. Cosmetic improvements sell bikes better than engine mods, thats why I mentioned the tank.. It's more important for it to look good to sell it than a list of engine mods nobody can see and may not trust..

Sounds like my 93xr650l, suspension dialed in, gold excel rims and hubs,fmf header and q2 series exhaust, baja designs seat and lighting, gold powder coated pro-tapered bars, large after market tank, brush guards, xr650r carb,etc.etc. only 3000 miles. I would do better to part it out and sell in pieces on ebay. I doubt if I could get 3000 bucks for it. In the woods or the 7-11 store what a piece of honda eye candy

I only paid 3500 for a mint 01, with a new stainless exhaust system and 1250 miles.

Hey Andrew - what are the street tires in your pics? I'm looking for some 100% street treads that I can use around town. Thanks.

They are the pirreli scorpion mt90 A/T's they were great for the road and ocasional gravel path.

thanks!

"motor work almost never makes you money, most people prefer a good running engine that hasn't had a bolt cracked on it, and sometimes that is a better way to go cause you dont know the quality of the work.. Cosmetic improvements sell bikes better than engine mods"

so when selling is it better not to mention an engine rebuild?

Tough to hear hear but you may as well hear it now, people get real bargains when they buy something that the prior owner put a lot of money into. My 2002 XR650R is probably worth $3,600 to $4,200 and I put a total of $7,800 into it last year counting the purchase and upgrades. It is worth that much to me but not to anyone else.

Tough call, Indy! The main thing I liked about my 650R was that it had never been cracked open. On an older bike, this will rarely be true, but a stack of receipts to go along with the bike sure would be a plus. Obviously, you would hope that a seller would be forthright about repair details if you were the buyer, so you have got to let your concience be the guide here.

So I take it that none of you agree with my price. What would you pay then? :applause: