Red Rider gone Yellow !

I just uncrated and assembled my new YZ450FSP today at my dealer . :applause: Bike looks awsome ! Looking forward to riding it but there is close to 6" of snow outside and more at higher elevations . :ride: Now I just have to sell the old CRF . ?

I just uncrated and assembled my new YZ450FSP today at my dealer . :applause: Bike looks awsome ! Looking forward to riding it but there is close to 6" of snow outside and more at higher elevations . :ride: Now I just have to sell the old CRF . ?

Congrats on sane maintenance schedules now.

That's comedy gold there... ?

Why do you guys even bother reading the Yamaha forums?

I promise you I don't bother with the Honda ones. I could care less what goes on over there.

?

Well, since TT hasnt split the forum from the CRF450R and CRF450X I almost cant stand the forum anymore either. Trail and desert riders are really really different folks that motocrossers. Im just sick of opening up threads to find its some insanely mondane thread about trying to hop up an X to run like an R. Its bad enough guys put lights on the R...

Ya'll can believe what you like about the valve thing. There are a hell of a lot more bikes out there without the valve issue than with. And for the number that do, statistically I dont think its any greater than any problems the YZF may have had. Honda has just sold 5 times as many bikes... :applause: And dont tell me they havent because when practice gets stupid crowded and they have to split it, they normally do it by color and they do it: RED, then everybody else...and its still crowded during red :ride:

Ya'll can believe what you like about the valve thing. There are a hell of a lot more bikes out there without the valve issue than with. And for the number that do, statistically I dont think its any greater than any problems the YZF may have had. Honda has just sold 5 times as many bikes...

You don't believe yourself what you're saying. I have never seen a Yamaha with valve issues at 30 hours, again after 10 hours and on and on till you do a full top end rebuild.

Honda may be a nice handling and smooth rider-friendly bike, but it sure is not a bike for an aggressive rider who can use the full potential of it AND who has to pay for the rebuild from his own pocket.

The bikes without valve issues are mostly ridden by sunday riders who never are able to take out the full power from their bikes. 10 rides a year is 10 hours and these bikes seem to have no problems - logical?

I really don't like to argue about preferences, I fully respect everyone's freedom to ride what they want, but comparing Yamaha reliability to Honda reliability (250/450 thumpers) is not from this planet. :applause:

Honda may be a nice handling and smooth rider-friendly bike, but it sure is not a bike for an aggressive rider who can use the full potential of it AND who has to pay for the rebuild from his own pocket. maintain and have paid the The bikes without valve issues are mostly ridden by sunday riders who never are able to take out the full power from their bikes. 10 rides a year is 10 hours and these bikes seem to have no problems - logical?

I really don't like to argue about preferences, I fully respect everyone's freedom to ride what they want, but comparing Yamaha reliability to Honda reliability (250/450 thumpers) is not from this planet. :applause:

I agree with you regarding the Yamaha reliability to a point. Yamaha's design clearly lasts longer. While I don't quite fit int the 10 rides/year arena, more like 35 rides/hours a year. My 2004 CRF had zero valve problems over 2 years from a combination of strict maintenance and 40+ B non overrevving riding ability! I know of plenty of CRF riders who didn't maintain and paid the price. I also know a few YZF riders who have had problems due to poor maintenance.

However, IMHO, before the '06 model year, the Honda is a much more rider friendly bike for all abilities vs. the YZ450F. Saying that it is not a bike for the aggressive rider who can use it's full potential is asinine! Take a look down the line at any local A (Expert) gate and all you see is Red (& some Yellow RMZ's). Where is the Blue? Still on the dealership floor collecting dust and running up the poor dealers floorplan! While some of these guys are sponsored, most still pay there own bills one way or another. Further, look down the line at any National and there are only CRF's & RMZ's once you get past the factory supported riders. These guys def pay for their motors. They ride the CRF & RMZ because it offers them the best chance to succeed.

Moving forward into '06 the #'s will even out even more as the KXF looks to be a great first year effort. Coupled w/great contingency it's a legit choice. The new YZF will be a player as well, but Yamaha missed again when it chose to release their bikes late. All but the hardest core Yamaha riders/racers, will already have up to 6 months on their '06 RMZ, KXF, CRF, KTMSX before the bulk of YZF's are available. Yami missed a tremendous sales opportunity, but that's an entirely different thread altogether.

Why do red guys come over here to start shit about "my bike is better than your's"??? :applause:

Post has nothing to do with who's bike is better. It has everything to do w/the statement "Honda may be a nice handling and smooth rider-friendly bike, but it sure is not a bike for an aggressive rider who can use the full potential of it AND who has to pay for the rebuild from his own pocket" which I whole heartedly disagree with. If you read the entire post, you'll see that I think that each bike in 2006 will be great.

BTW - I am far from a red guy! Of the 15 motorcycles I've owned in my life, 13 were Yamaha's. I'm glad that Yamaha finally has a top shelf 450. I'm unhappy it came out so late though. I will have one in '07!

The new YZF will be a player as well, but Yamaha missed again when it chose to release their bikes late. All but the hardest core Yamaha riders/racers, will already have up to 6 months on their '06 RMZ, KXF, CRF, KTMSX before the bulk of YZF's are available. Yami missed a tremendous sales opportunity, but that's an entirely different thread altogether.

Good point. Can't help but wonder - why? I have heard from several people I know that they would have purchased a new 06 YZF but it wasn't available so they went with something else.

Oh well, no impact to the poor souls that have to make due with what we have. I can't wait until I can get a proven used 06 for about 1/2 the price...

I agree with you regarding the Yamaha reliability to a point. Yamaha's design clearly lasts longer. While I don't quite fit int the 10 rides/year arena, more like 35 rides/hours a year. My 2004 CRF had zero valve problems over 2 years from a combination of strict maintenance and 40+ B non overrevving riding ability! I know of plenty of CRF riders who didn't maintain and paid the price. I also know a few YZF riders who have had problems due to poor maintenance.

Strict maintenance is the key issue, but not the only one. High revving and total hours added to poor maintenance seem to harm Honda more than Yamaha.

However, IMHO, before the '06 model year, the Honda is a much more rider friendly bike for all abilities vs. the YZ450F.

Agree. That's why we see more of them too.

Saying that it is not a bike for the aggressive rider who can use it's full potential is asinine!

Riding aggressively usually involves high temps, high revving and hitting the limiter.

Take a look down the line at any local A (Expert) gate and all you see is Red (& some Yellow RMZ's). Where is the Blue? Still on the dealership floor collecting dust and running up the poor dealers floorplan! While some of these guys are sponsored, most still pay there own bills one way or another. Further, look down the line at any National and there are only CRF's & RMZ's once you get past the factory supported riders. These guys def pay for their motors. They ride the CRF & RMZ because it offers them the best chance to succeed.

As above, "Agree. That's why we see more of them too".

Moving forward into '06 the #'s will even out even more as the KXF looks to be a great first year effort. Coupled w/great contingency it's a legit choice.

Yet to be seen.

The new YZF will be a player as well, but Yamaha missed again when it chose to release their bikes late. All but the hardest core Yamaha riders/racers, will already have up to 6 months on their '06 RMZ, KXF, CRF, KTMSX before the bulk of YZF's are available. Yami missed a tremendous sales opportunity, but that's an entirely different thread altogether.

Yamaha has always released their new models this late, or should we say early? But I agree, this new 450 should have been released already a year ago when RMZ was introduced. The '05 YZF was no longer a competitive RACING bike, however a reliable amateur bike for you and me.

I really like the CRF, but have not tried RMZ450.

I only wanted to point out that CRF reliability is not comparable with Yamaha reliability, whatever imaginative statistics are applied.

BTW Science - I liked your constructive reply and non-offensive attitude. :applause:

Ahhh, just like a kid in a candy store, only you can't eat any yet at least for a while. ?

Seriously, having a new bike like that is one of the true pleasures in life . . .

Shawn MC .

Not too long ago I would have agreed with you about the valve issue . My CRF450 has been maintained very well and has only required 3 mabey 4 valve adjustments . Each time the intakes going tighter . The last time It was very hard to start if at all . Shure enough the left intake went tight . I have always kept the valve adj. in spec. but this happened suddenly . Ran great at begining of ride ,Bike wouldn't start when I got home . Had to put in 135 shim to get 0.006" . Usually only had to adjust for 0.001 - 0.002 difference . I used to think that it was no big issue . I don't think its a mater of if it's going to happen but when . I just think we have to face the fact that the CRF will require intake valves sooner than others . :applause:

Nevertheless I am sad to see the Honda go . I just can't refuse the deal my buddy who owns the Yami. dealer is giving me . Looking forward to trying the new Yamaha ! :ride: The yellow SP has also persuaded me to go to the dark side . Never liked the blue much . Looks old too soon . Looks good in the showroom though . Just not as sexy as that new yellow/black . Oldschool ? Just my thoughts . Cheers .