HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klmmicro

Front fork torque specs -

5 posts in this topic

My friend loosened the triple clamps on his XR650L to lower it and is wondering what the torque specs are for the clamping the fork tubes. Anyone care to share the numbers?

My friend loosened the triple clamps on his XR650L to lower it and is wondering what the torque specs are for the clamping the fork tubes. Anyone care to share the numbers?

In my Clymer 1979-2002 Xl/Xr650 book it says 20 ft-lbs for the upper and 24 ft-lbs for the lower . I would not use any form of extension due to the fact it changes the valve and I have the formula for that if you need it.

Thanks for the numbers. He just raised the tubes about an inch in the tree is all. When he went to tighten them down he called me to ask for the specs...hehehe, I had no idea.

Dang, I could not help myself and clicked "view post". Maybe you will learn something here, and I enjoyed the teenager take on mechanicing.

As to your post: just how tight was that? How would you measure your "just as tight as they were"?

I am a mechanic. I can usually hand tighten things pretty close to a spec, but in order to know "how tight they were before", I have to know how tight they were before. Torque specs are written to tell me how tight that was, and a torque wrench is used so I know I am actually getting things "that tight".

Know your specs and use the right tool to get things into spec. There is a reason that the engineers created those specs.'

Now, back to the block-hole!