WOO HOO!!! Picked up my 06 last night

What an amazing machine, by far the most incredible bike I have owned. Now a few questions, as I was looking it over and making my big plans I was looking for the breather hose that people say needs to be rerouted. I think that mine runs into the airbox already, is this true, did Yamaha change it for 06?

Another question, we are in the beginning stages of winter so I will probably not be able to break this bike in properly till spring. What should I do where the bike already has gasoline in it? I guess I could go through several warm up cool down cycles and then change the oil, but I dont really want to let the bike just idle at the same RPM all the time before break in do I.

I guess thats all for now. Damn I'm excited to have this thing :applause: .Its gonna be a long winter.

I recommend that when you remove the AIS from your 2006 bike that you reroute the already rerouted in 2005 breather hose. If you get any water in the bottom of your air box, the water will run into the breather hose and into the top end of the motor. When you remove the AIS, reroute the breather hose up to the AIS hose fitting on the top portion of the air box. This will prevent the water from entering your motor, unless you are in water up to your seat. Chances are that you will already be in big trouble if this has occurred and you won't have just water in the breather hose to worry about. :ride:

Also, the drain at the bottom of the airbox is sealed. Either cut the end off of the drain hose or do not use the little blank off cap that is provided in the AIS Removal Kit to close off the AIS hose fitting to cap off the now unneeded breather hose fitting on the airbox. :applause:

breather hose was changed for 05+.

go ahead and drain the tank and carburator for winter...and put the battery on a trickle charger.

Oh, and put some winter air in your tires.

*warning nooby question*

can you just run the bike out of gas or do you have to take the carb apart to get all the gas out?

*warning nooby question*

can you just run the bike out of gas or do you have to take the carb apart to get all the gas out?

you can pull the hose from the petcock to drain the tank, and there is a gold allenhead stopper bolt at the bottom of the carb that drains the carb through the drain hose.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=291&stc=1

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=302&stc=1

:applause:

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will take your advice Arin and drain out all the fuel, unless I get a nice day in the next week or so to break her in on. What do you guys think about putting stabil in there for the winter? Anyone go that route?

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will take your advice Arin and drain out all the fuel, unless I get a nice day in the next week or so to break her in on. What do you guys think about putting stabil in there for the winter? Anyone go that route?

I wouldn't, it has a plastic tank, just drain it and put the gas in your car...that way you'll have nice, fresh high-test when you break her in! :applause:

My experience with Stabil found crud on the spark plug building up, eventually fouled the plugs in the NYPUM fleet of bikes...a bunch of XR80, 100, and 200s used to teach at-risk kids to ride, an incentive program that works quite well! :ride: