Pressure washer recommendations

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys are using for gas powered pressure washers.

I assume 2200 to 2500 psi will remove the grease without ripping the paint off. Is this enough? Is 4 to 5HP enough?

Is there anything you have used that you didn't like, or anything that broke down?

Thanks!

Dave

I've got a Devilbiss Excell 2500 psi with a 6.5 horse Briggs and Straton engine. I bought it at Home Depot about a year ago. It does a good job, I've had zero problems out of it. I wouldn't get a 4 or 5 horse motor, the 6.5 is barely enough power for the pump. I think I gave around $300.

I've had several models and used many different makes over the years, from the simple hand wand electric models to the heated industrial strength ones!

My present one is a Craftsman....http://www.epinions.com/content_62151495300 ......like this one. I chose it because I can get service or parts for it close to home unlike some of the other models.

I've had a Karcher, in the long run it wasn't that great of a model. I've used the electric ones they simply aren't strong enough.

I think anything under 2000 psi is just not going to work the way I like one to.

Of course, you should be very careful when spraying the critical areas of the bike, the linkage, wheel bearings, and steering stem. I keep my bikes clean but realize that all the water eventually goes somewhere and displaces lubricants when you spray with high pressure. I grease things on a regular basis. This is paramount if you are going to use a pressure washer and want to keep your bike in good working order for any length of time.

Get one with a Honda motor on it. I had one with a briggs motor that drank oil. Had to put oil in it evertime I used it. Took it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the Excel model with the Honda motor. Works great!

I would second buying a pressure washer with a Honda motor. The small engines made by Honda are absolutely bulletproof. A Honda is way better than a Briggs or a Tecumseh, hands down.

I have a Briggs and stratton one.I think its like a speed clean or something like that.It works well and was like $250.I think it is 2500 PSI with a 5.5HP motor.

I would second buying a pressure washer with a Honda motor. The small engines made by Honda are absolutely bulletproof. A Honda is way better than a Briggs or a Tecumseh, hands down.

They might not make the best bikes.... :ride: but Honda do make the best small stationary engines! :applause:

First start everytime!

Waldo

YZ426

I have a 2700 PSI washer from HD with a honda motor.. honda does really make the best small motors. I dont use anything but the white nozle anywhere on my bike accept the yellow on the rims. Yellow is too powerfull for the rest of the bike.

I have the Karcher from Cosco with 2400psi. It has a Honda motor and it kicks butt. I don't use it much, but when I do I'm really impressed.

I use a Husky electric one from HD with 1750 psi. It's small enough to fit in the corner of my trailer to take with me, and with a pre-emptive squirt of Simple Green solution, all the grease, grime, dirt, etc, comes right off without any problems. Do you really need a 2500 psi, big bodied pressure washer? I haven't found that I need more pressure by any means...

I dont reccomend a pressure washer unless you tear down and regrease your entire bike on a strict (and often) schedule.

i bought my gas powered at wally world for 188 .its like 2000 psi and works great.

By the way, my Husky electric was $149.......

I had one of those huskys. Couldnt get anything off the bike. And I keep on top of the regreasing. But using discression on where you wave the wand is easier then regreasing all the time. Just dont hit seals or the linkage.

I use a cheepy electrical 1750psi that I got at pep boys and I am amazed it still works :p . I think it is perfect because it's not too powerfull. I use to go down to a drive thru car wash and those pressure washers would take off stickers that I wanted to keep on. The other thing about the cheapy is it's quiet and when the wife yells at me from the house I can hear her. :applause:. Wait!!!! Maybe I need a gas powered unit. :ride:

I dont reccomend a pressure washer unless you tear down and regrease your entire bike on a strict (and often) schedule.

very good point that no one is talking about -

I use a pressure washer - but I also notice that the steering head top and bottom bearings need to be regreased twice as necessary - I do not even aim at the the seal...

same with the linkage and swingarm pivots.....