Any performance gains with an Iridium plug?

In theory. The big benefit is in the consistant spark quality over the life of the plug, which will also be longer than standard plugs.

Someone just asked this like a week ago and there was a thread with at least 10 to 15 responses...

-J

? Where's the data to back up this claim?

-J

I believe that the theory is that since the integrity of the spark will last longer than a standard plug, over time you will not see a degradation in the ease of starting.

Of course if you change your plug periodically, this would negate the need for a high end long lasting expensive plug.

just my .02

So then it's not really that the bike starts easier with the plug, the statement should have been "plug lasts longer." That is true, but single copper plugs are pennies anyways and provide the best performance (less resistance.) And theoretically should start easier than the iridium as long as they are both being used in their "good" life span.

-J

I think that is a fair statement.

The whole point of the special metal plugs was originally to increase the life span so vehicles that have hard to get at plugs would not need them changed as often.

The only disadvantage to copper is that it is a softer metal and will start to wear quicker allowing the spark to wander.

If the bike is tuned correctly and the plug changed appropriately, copper should be fine.

the caveat of course is to always use the manufacture recommended plugs (heat range, etc.)

It should be noted that the stock CR8E resistor plug in my YZ250F lasted over a year of hard use before I pulled it out to check it. I replaced it, but with the condition it was in...I could have easily left it in for three to four more months and been fine.

So, maybe spending the extra dough for an Iridium or Platinum plug isn't justifiable?

? Where's the data to back up this claim?

-J

The data is in my right leg on my kickers or the E-start on my DRZ. Not that I ever had a problem starting before, but I did notice an improvement with the iridium. While fouled plugs were very rare before, they are non-existent now. Been using them for years. Is the extra 5 bucks really that big an issue? If I were putting them in my V8 truck they would be cause I am a cheap bastage, but the extra cost for a bike is so nill I don't even think twice about it. Scientific Data? Go ask an NGK engineer.