1999 wr400

A mate of my has a wr400 which is a pain to start when cold. It will fire on choke for a few seconds and then stop, and then fire it up again it will do the same thing. And by the third attempt it will run ok if your gentle with the throttle, if your not it just pops and stops any ideas?. As this only happens when cold ,the rest of the day it runs fine with no bogging or sputtering.

Ive done a search and i cant find anything really usefull.

Has the bike been sitting long?

What's been done to the Carburetor?

The bike only really gets used on sundays ,and it gets fired up atleast once during the week.

The carb hasnt been touched as far as im aware.

I bought an '00 WR400 from a buddy and I had to learn a brand new cold starting drill, the drill I have used for years on XRs didn't cut it. It took 2 sessions on two separate mornings, but here's what works for me: Pull out the choke, pull in the decompressor, push the kick lever just past TC on the compression stroke, give the throttle 3-4 blips, return throttle to idle position, then give it a King Kong boot. This procedure allows me to cold start in 1-2 kicks. I have experimented with setting the idle screw up before starting, but it does not seem to make any difference. Another Yamaha-riding friend suggested to install a larger starting jet, but so far this has not been necessary.