Oil leak

idiot does normal oil change.

next day oil puddle under the bike.

Nice new fresh oil so it is a leak.

doing the oil change I only removed the drain bolt at back of engine and the 8mm bolt and pipe connector on the side.

Checked the drain bolt it is OK.

So I suspect the pipe connector..

Actually I am sure the leak is where this connect meets the side of the engine. (saw little drops of oil there)

So I guess there is an o ring or something that is not properly in place?

Is the o-ring a consumable that I can easily collect from the yamaha parts?

Sorry for such a lame question but I want to fix this fast..

BergArabia,

Good deal that you probably found the issue . . . and thanks for the tip about the helpful site. :applause:

idiot does normal oil change.

next day oil puddle under the bike.

Nice new fresh oil so it is a leak.

doing the oil change I only removed the drain bolt at back of engine and the 8mm bolt and pipe connector on the side.

Checked the drain bolt it is OK.

So I suspect the pipe connector..

Actually I am sure the leak is where this connect meets the side of the engine. (saw little drops of oil there)

So I guess there is an o ring or something that is not properly in place?

Is the o-ring a consumable that I can easily collect from the yamaha parts?

Sorry for such a lame question but I want to fix this fast..

Ha ha.. I just got my '03 YZ450F a few days ago. Yesterday, I changed the oil before riding it for the first time. After the ride (fortunately a short one) I noticed the same exact leak you found! I assumed it was an o-ring out of place or torn or something. I haven't opened it up yet to see what's up. Did you fix it already?

I am wondering how much of the oil will leak from that spot when it the metal hose is removed...?

I guess I'll head down to the local Yammie dealer for a new o-ring or two...

-Dan

Yeah I replaced the old o ring which was not torn but a bit compressed I guess.

The part number for the o-ring is 93210-10197

I paid about 75 cents per piece I bought a couple coz at that price it cost more to drive down to the Yamaha dealer than to buy the o-ring..

I think it is OK didn't see any more leaks lets see how it goes after a day or two.. Oh yeah I guess about 300 mls of oil came out when I removed the pipe to replace the o-ring so I had to top up too..

Yeah I replaced the old o ring which was not torn but a bit compressed I guess.

The part number for the o-ring is 93210-10197

I paid about 75 cents per piece I bought a couple coz at that price it cost more to drive down to the Yamaha dealer than to buy the o-ring..

I think it is OK didn't see any more leaks lets see how it goes after a day or two.. Oh yeah I guess about 300 mls of oil came out when I removed the pipe to replace the o-ring so I had to top up too..

Thanks for the info. I'm off to check it out on my bike now.

-Dan

Nice and dry under the bike now so that was it.. :applause: Good luck with yours Dan..

Thanks Gray....