Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darksun27

yfz cam in yz cam mod?

5 posts in this topic

i bought a really cheap set of cams off a yzf 450 quad and i was wondering once i get these cams can i do the cam mod (moving the exhaust cam 1 tooth) that the yfz people are doing? by the way i think these cams are from either a 04 or 05 yfz and im putting them into a 2002 yz 426

The YFZ quad cams are the WR450 cams. Advancing the exhaust will result in the auto-decomression not working. Installing it straight up will result in WR cam timing.

i installed the cams today, the auto decompression wasnt working well. i tried stock, advanced 1 tooth, retarded 1 tooth and it didnt seem to get any better ( it almost felt like you were kicking it over without the decompression cam, it did work a little bit though). are they not working right because these are the quad cams or could it be maybe my clearances arent right? :applause:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the decompression "bump" on the quad cam stuck out a very small amount less than on the dirtbike, but am really not sure.

It's been quite a while since I messed with my friend's YFZ, and I don't remember if there's a way to adjust the decompression release. Possibly someone with more recent and extensive experience will be of more assistance.

The only thing that I can think of at 11:30 at night (past my bedtime ;-) ) is maybe your valves aren't adjusted right, but I'd defer to someone more experienced on that too.