WR dont like winter weather

Hey all,

My WR has been stored in a non-heated garage since my last ride in mid october. I tried to start it up a couple of days ago and nuttin happened. I figured it was flooded so i waited till the next day. Still no luck. What should I do? It is a Kick start only and has a rekluse clutch, so push starting it is out of the question. Thanx dudes.

Install a new plug.

have you tried a different by-pilot/starter jet? Made the dif on my crf. A yzf400 owner told me this.

Change the gas.

Change the plug.

Is your main jet and your pilot jet set up for the ambient temp?

wrist some throttle and kick few times, wrist again, and kick few times...and eventually it should come to life in a few tries if all is OK, even with old fuel

After it sits awhile and won't start, before changing the plug, try dropping it on both sides. Drop it over until gas comes out the carb tubes. Put it on the other side and do the same. 9 out of 10 it will start. Works for my '02 and saves a lot of time.

Oh, one other thing. If you have 20w40 in it, go to 10w40. Thick as syrup when cold.

Oh, one other thing. If you have 20w40 in it, go to 10w40. Thick as syrup when cold.

Good point Don....

Yamaha makes a winter formula motor oil.

Change the plug.

If you still cant get it started change out the starter jet. There are 3 jets in the bottom of the carb, main, pilot, and starter. The starter jet only works when the choke is on. You know how the bike tries to start and dies. You have to keep trying to start it for like 10-15x before it will stay running. That is the starter jet. Go to a bigger starter jet. It helps imensiely. I keep preaching this to people but most dont listen. It works.

My yz400 uses a 65 starter jet stock. I switch to a 68 for down to 30 deg. Below that I go to a 72 starter jet.

i actually use delo400 Oil for the rekluse auto-clutch. Is it alright to change it and go with a lighter grade oil wothout causing harm to the clutch?

Yamaha makes a winter formula motor oil.

Change the plug.

If you still cant get it started change out the starter jet. There are 3 jets in the bottom of the carb, main, pilot, and starter. The starter jet only works when the choke is on. You know how the bike tries to start and dies. You have to keep trying to start it for like 10-15x before it will stay running. That is the starter jet. Go to a bigger starter jet. It helps imensiely. I keep preaching this to people but most dont listen. It works.

My yz400 uses a 65 starter jet stock. I switch to a 68 for down to 30 deg. Below that I go to a 72 starter jet.

what happens if too big starter jet in warm weather?

what happens if too big starter jet in warm weather?

Youl eat a plug is my guess. IT will be too rich a mixture for startup.

Doesn't the starter jet only work with the choke on.If so how will it be to rich for a warm start without choke?

It wont be, he was reffering to cold start with choke...dont mix that with warm weather that I mentioned

cold bike starting mostly needs choke, regardless of the outer temp.

It wont be, he was reffering to cold start with choke...dont mix that with warm weather that I mentioned

cold bike starting mostly needs choke, regardless of the outer temp.

yea what he said. If you jet the starter jet too rich and try starting the bike (bike cold) in warm weather with the choke on it will more than likely eat a plug.

But for cold temps a bike runs lean. You gotta richen it up. And not just the main and pilot. There is the needle and starter jet that usualy need a little attension also.

Try the starter jet. It helps a lot.

YZMAN400 is the one who turned me onto this last winter. On my crf450 I had rejetted according to the JD jet kit for the colder temp but it still would not start unless in a heated garage. After changing the starter jet, it starts just like in the warmer weather.