HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rdefonce

YZ spark arrestor suggestions please.:-)

14 posts in this topic

Fellow Yamaha fans,

I've got a '99 YZ400F, with stock exhaust. I've been riding off-road some, so I should get a spark arrestor (for fire prevention, and maybe a little noise reduction!)

Questions: - Is there something that attaches to stock silencer, and if so does it work well?

- If that's not the hot setup, which one would you recommend, that would let me maintain power while running a bit quieter? (preferably one that wouldn't require a boatload of jetting changes!)

Thanks!

Ron DeFonce

I've been real pleased with how well the Q by FMF has worked on my bike. :applause:

Thanks MotoGoalie, I'll file that under potential candidates!

Did it require much in the way of re-jetting?

Ron

Thanks MotoGoalie, I'll file that under potential candidates!

Did it require much in the way of re-jetting?

Ron

No, not really. I leaned the pj a tad but I'm at high altitude and that prolly has more effect than the pipe.

I have a Pro-Moto end-cap on my '04 and it works great, smoothing the power, makes it quieter, and adds no weight.

brian

I have a Pro-Moto end-cap on my '04 and it works great, smoothing the power, makes it quieter, and adds no weight.

brian

Brian, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'm looking for.:-)

BTW, we travel to Col. every other year for dirt (or street) biking. I've found that Ouray is a great place to stage out of, since it's got such breath-taking scenery (my wife likes it for jeeping/scenery/shopping) and I go riding.

I've found that in high altitude (between 9k - 13k feet) my bike backfires quite a lot on the downhills . . . hope my slightly larger pilot jet, along with the spark arrestor, helps that a bit.

Ron

Brian, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'm looking for.:-)

BTW, we travel to Col. every other year for dirt (or street) biking. I've found that Ouray is a great place to stage out of, since it's got such breath-taking scenery (my wife likes it for jeeping/scenery/shopping) and I go riding.

I've found that in high altitude (between 9k - 13k feet) my bike backfires quite a lot on the downhills . . . hope my slightly larger pilot jet, along with the spark arrestor, helps that a bit.

Ron

A few of us live a half hour away from Ouray. Look at our jetting specs to cure your backfiring problem at high altitude. I can tell you my bike in the sticky above is jetted perfectly for this altitude.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248849

Richer is not the answer :applause:

A few of us live a half hour away from Ouray. Look at our jetting specs to cure your backfiring problem at high altitude. I can tell you my bike in the sticky above is jetted perfectly for this altitude.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248849

Richer is not the answer :applause:

Pretty cool, living only a half-hour away! . . . you must be in Montrose or nearby?

I reviewed your specs, and I did use the Excel chart the last time I jetted for hi-altitude. My bike was backfiring here (in St. Louis, 500 ft and 75 degrees) almost as bad as hi-altitude. When I went to the one-size-larger pilot (48) the backfiring is mostly gone. (I know that doesn't correlate to high-alt. though, like you said in your post a rich condition can mimic a lean condition.)

One thing's for sure; my 400 won't require the same jets as your 450; curiously the 400 requires generally larger jets than the 450. (Stock jet settings on 450 are smaller than on 400!)

Ron D.