21" front wheel or 20"?

What do you guys think?

The only concern I would have would be finding tires to fit. I like the Maxxis SI up front and they don't make a 20". Dunlop does though...SC

The only concern I would have would be finding tires to fit. I like the Maxxis SI up front and they don't make a 20". Dunlop does though...SC

More difficult question, where do I find a front tire for my 1980 XR 500? I think it has a 23" rim.. The tire is definitely bigger than my WR450's 21", and I've never seen anything larger than 21" listed in the magazines.

M.

you can still get 23" front tires. i believe there is only one to choose from.

you can also get a 21" rim and spokes.

Go 20"!!!! I love it. It is a bit more difficult to find tires and tubes at the local shops but easy to find online.

tyre manufacturers are still trying to recoup their losses on the 20" tyre.

I say save your money and stick with the 21"

There is a dealer in Utah called "Ricks Cycle shop" He always has new or decent 23 inch front tires. You might search him out and give him a call. He is a total pr**k, but he does have them.

The big advantage, IMHO, is flat protection.

I suppose you could argue that the "footprint" will be larger given the lower pressures that you could run.

I don't think the overall diameter of the front wheel is that different

to dramatically effect handling .

The big advantage, IMHO, is flat protection.

I suppose you could argue that the "footprint" will be larger given the lower pressures that you could run.

I don't think the overall diameter of the front wheel is that different

to dramatically effect handling .

kenda has just come out with the 'washougal' (int)which comes in 90/100-21 so the taller/wider footprint combo can be had in a 21" now. i'm really tempted to try one in the 'sticky' compound,really nice pattern with reinforced sidewalls :applause:

kenda has just come out with the 'washougal' (int)which comes in 90/100-21 so the taller/wider footprint combo can be had in a 21" now. i'm really tempted to try one in the 'sticky' compound,really nice pattern with reinforced sidewalls :applause:

Yeah, the 90/100-21's are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Factory teams have been running them for a while now, and they are starting to come out on the market.