HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTRSPORTDAN

21" front wheel or 20"?

10 posts in this topic

The only concern I would have would be finding tires to fit. I like the Maxxis SI up front and they don't make a 20". Dunlop does though...SC

More difficult question, where do I find a front tire for my 1980 XR 500? I think it has a 23" rim.. The tire is definitely bigger than my WR450's 21", and I've never seen anything larger than 21" listed in the magazines.

M.

you can still get 23" front tires. i believe there is only one to choose from.

you can also get a 21" rim and spokes.

Go 20"!!!! I love it. It is a bit more difficult to find tires and tubes at the local shops but easy to find online.

tyre manufacturers are still trying to recoup their losses on the 20" tyre.

I say save your money and stick with the 21"

There is a dealer in Utah called "Ricks Cycle shop" He always has new or decent 23 inch front tires. You might search him out and give him a call. He is a total pr**k, but he does have them.

The big advantage, IMHO, is flat protection.

I suppose you could argue that the "footprint" will be larger given the lower pressures that you could run.

I don't think the overall diameter of the front wheel is that different

to dramatically effect handling .

The big advantage, IMHO, is flat protection.

I suppose you could argue that the "footprint" will be larger given the lower pressures that you could run.

I don't think the overall diameter of the front wheel is that different

to dramatically effect handling .

kenda has just come out with the 'washougal' (int)which comes in 90/100-21 so the taller/wider footprint combo can be had in a 21" now. i'm really tempted to try one in the 'sticky' compound,really nice pattern with reinforced sidewalls :applause:

kenda has just come out with the 'washougal' (int)which comes in 90/100-21 so the taller/wider footprint combo can be had in a 21" now. i'm really tempted to try one in the 'sticky' compound,really nice pattern with reinforced sidewalls :applause:

Yeah, the 90/100-21's are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Factory teams have been running them for a while now, and they are starting to come out on the market.