ok all u wr450 owners

I got 12,000 miles out of my 03 and had the engine rebuilt. Crank bearing was sloppy on the left side, Tranny was fine but needed new clutch baskets and plates. New valves, guides, springs and cam chain completed the work.

I got 17,340. miles on her now and the tranny is still great! Some people that race desert have had issues with extended high speed riding in 5th gear. 5th gear can crack or break teeth. For eastern riding we dont get into 5th for as long as they do in the desert. :applause:

7,000 on my 03 so far, valves still in spec. no problems at all. Been a very worry free bike.

Indy, about how many miles in did you think about doing your engine rebuild? I am kinda curious as to when I should start worrying about ring or bearing failures occuring?

Indy, about how many miles in did you think about doing your engine rebuild? I am kinda curious as to when I should start worrying about ring or bearing failures occuring?

You will feel and hear the engine crank making a little more noise at idle. Kinda like piston slap on a 2 smoke. I short shift and lug the engine quite a bit so I may be harder of the crank then someone who revs it with a YZ cam in her. But then your valves will go sooner. My valves were in good shape other then the build up on the exhaust valve and port. I replaced them with SS valves and heavier springs, new guides, cam chain etc. Revs a little slower than stock but should last longer. :applause:

• 10 months later...

Greetings from Cambodia, I bought an 04' WR450f new out of the box in California, August 2004. Baja Designs rewound my stator, lowered my shocks, resprung front and rear suspension, all the regular free mods as well. Then I shipped it home to Cambodia to be my company car.

I change the oil every 1000 klm,

brake fluid every three months,

and my underware twice a day sometimes because it is HOT and sweaty most of the time. :^) TMI

Just over two years and 32,500 miles of jungle travel, and I still love my WR.

Routine HOT and HUMID often 100 degrees / 95+% in mud, sand, rocks, dense jungle ......... not one boil over or heat related temper tantrum! At least for the WR. I have had a few personally!

Installed Boyeseen water impeller, also Rooster front rad. guard. Thought it might restrict air flow but better than bamboo skewering the rad. Not one over heat. Run 60/40 coolant/water

After one year I replaced the OEM clutch basket with a Hinson. Good move. One set of clutch plates a year. (2)

One Ironman Chain/sprocket set per year (2)

(4) spark plugs

(2) air filters

(1) Scotts stainless oil filter. Another good move.

(1) set of Fasstco Flex Bars. A REALLY GOOD MOVE.

(1) front wheel bearing

(8) rear tires (3) rear tubes

(5) front tires (4) front tubes

Just replaced all cables and water hoses, Preventative mantainance. Easier to do it in the garage with a fan than in the muddy jungle!

My WR has been fed some good fuel, some OK fuel, and some very marginal stuff more akin to kerosine than gasoline. Not a picky eater. Likes good food, but will function on looooow octane in a pinch. Not so for my KTM riding friends :^)

Adjusted valves twice, (minor tweek only needed) cam chain tight, no sign of wear on it or tensioner.

I routinely travel into places where if your bike breaks down, you leave it and walk out a LONG ways where there are lots of creatures lurking. My WR has never stranded me.

Do I sound like a happy owner? Yes. Would I buy another WR? Yes. Do I like BLUE? Yes.

Greetings from Cambodia, I bought an 04' WR450f new out of the box in California, August 2004. Baja Designs rewound my stator, lowered my shocks, resprung front and rear suspension, all the regular free mods as well. Then I shipped it home to Cambodia to be my company car.

and my underware twice a day sometimes because it is HOT and sweaty most of the time. :^) TMI

Routine HOT and HUMID often 100 degrees / 95+% in mud, sand, rocks, dense jungle ......... not one boil over or heat related temper tantrum! At least for the WR. I have had a few personally!

Installed Boyeseen water impeller, also Rooster front rad. guard. Thought it might restrict air flow but better than bamboo skewering the rad. Not one over heat. Run 60/40 coolant/water

After one year I replaced the OEM clutch basket with a Hinson. Good move. One set of clutch plates a year. (2)

(4) spark plugs

(2) air filters

(1) front wheel bearing

Just replaced all cables and water hoses, Preventative mantainance. Easier to do it in the garage with a fan than in the muddy jungle!

My WR has been fed some good fuel, some OK fuel, and some very marginal stuff more akin to kerosine than gasoline. Not a picky eater. Likes good food, but will function on looooow octane in a pinch. Not so for my KTM riding friends :^)

Adjusted valves twice, (minor tweek only needed) cam chain tight, no sign of wear on it or tensioner.

I routinely travel into places where if your bike breaks down, you leave it and walk out a LONG ways where there are lots of creatures lurking. My WR has never stranded me.

Do I sound like a happy owner? Yes. Would I buy another WR? Yes. Do I like BLUE? Yes.

Now THAT is impressive!

i love my bike even more now :devil:

Dude thats an awesome track record and story! wish I could ride in some of those places. :mad:

The scariest thing ive seen out here in Illinois are some narly quad skag mud ruts that will swallow a little kid and his bike whole :mad:

(4) spark plugs

(2) air filters

(1) front wheel bearing