HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SBRacing

fok oil seals

9 posts in this topic

I'm about to replace my leaky oil seals any tips or things to look out for I should know about..Its been awhile but I have done them in the past on my old 96 Rm 250 but I want to make sure I do it right on my 04 450

Thanx Craig

Here's a step-by-step with pictures:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/fork_seals.htm

Look for scratches and nicks that you can feel with a fingernail. Some pretty small stuff can cause a new seal to leak. Sand them out with 240 grit (or so) wet/dry in a cross hatch pattern. don't worry about the finish on the tubes. the normal fork operation will restore that in a while.

Man I don't think I'm up to do this ..What whould it cost to have them done?

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

You do not have to remove the dampers or the base valve to do a simple seal replacement. Just remove the springs and knock out the seals. It does make a better job to remove the valve, because it lets you clean it up more thoroughly, but it is not required at all. Most shops that will charge you $125 to $200 are not going to remove the base valves for that kind of money, anyway.

You will pay a lot to have it done, or you can take your time and do it yourself for much less. I just replaced my seals on my 03. I used the guide posted by gray and my bike manual for the specs. It really is'nt as hard as it seems.

The only things from the post I would like to add would be:

1. For my 03, and I think the 04 is the same, you will need a 14mm hex tool to remove the base valve. I used a grade 8 bolt with two nuts tightend together for this and it worked fine. I looked for a "real" tool for this but could not find one.

2. I could not get the gas line castle nut tool to work out for me. I used a piece of PVC pipe and cut the end with a utility knife. It worked great.

Hope this helps.

Sears, Snap-on, Mac ect sells the 14mm 1/2 drive allen socket