KLX250 Gutless

hi Dave here, can anyone tell me how to get more grunt out of my bike as it is hopless for a 250. It has a aftermarket pipe on it and header pipe but there is no name on it so I don't know what brand it is. Had a DRZ250 before this and it would shit all over this bike, any help would be very much appeciated. Thanks guys. :applause:

• Like 1

dave here, I find the front suspension seems to wash out for some reason, it's a 99 model otherwise it's a nice bike, I also find it heavy or it seems heavy even though by the specs it's not. On paper it seems to be a very good bike but it dosn't tell me that on the trails. :applause:

Hi there Dave. I bought an 05 KLX250 and thought it the most gutless 250 I have ever ridden. My old XL250 would run away from it. Seems the carb had two holes drilled in the slide to get it past the noise regs. This meant the carb would only open part way - It would only rev out in 1st and 2nd and top speed was 100kph - any hill would kill it. I fixed the carb and fitted a Staintune exhaust - now it pulls 130kph and roars up the hills. Throttle response is till not good and it runs too lean. But I am getting there. Next up will be the Mikuni TM33 and the 292 bore.

I bought my KLX250 about 9 months ago, and just like you, wasn't too impressed (even with an aftermarket exhaust).

Afterwards, I changed sprockets, opened up the air box, done the crank breather mod, and swapped in a new carby (TM33). It's a million times better, especially from the carby change. The carby is the biggest problem.

So yes I'm very happy with the bike after all that. But remember, the KLX isn't a high performance motocross bike (CR, KX, CRF, etc), it's a reliable trail bike (XR, KLR, etc).

To Northy 250

The staintune is a full system - I live near the factory in Mittagong, the bike came from the Mittagong bike shop with the silencer but not the engine pipe. The silencer made stuff all difference. The engine pipe was $230. Apparently no dynojet kit is available for these late model carbs. I think the references to Dynojet kits refer to earlier carbs fitted to north american KLX300. I am going to get a TM33 for this bike as though the bike has reasonable power now - it comes on too slow.

are you guys talking about the same model 250 as the new '06 klx 250? i know this model has been around in other parts of the world from sometime... again i'm not talking about the klr250 that's been here in the states but the new klx250 (that looks just like the klx300) thanks.

• Like 1

are you guys talking about the same model 250 as the new '06 klx 250? i know this model has been around in other parts of the world from sometime... again i'm not talking about the klr250 that's been here in the states but the new klx250 (that looks just like the klx300) thanks.

Yep sure are - I checked a picture of the 06 KLX250 at a texas show - it looks identical to my 05 model except for white fork protectors and anodised side cases. I note that the US model does not have the carb de-ice circuit. I scrapped mine anyway. This may indicate that the US model has a different carb to the australian model, though I checked the drawings on the US kawasaki sit and my carb is that listed as fitted to the KLX250H

• Like 1

so what you guys are saying is that the 06 klx250 that is coming to the states is sackless.... hmmm. depressing. i was hoping that it's motor would be close in performance to the wr250 or crf250x...

any idea on the klx250 horsepower rating with stock vs. standard mods ( carb & airbox )?

Hello everyone, Just picked up my 2006 KLX 250S on Wednesday, and am still waiting to ride it, you know fishing, bad weather, oh and the I can't ride at night, permit. I first got my endorsment in 1982, and let it laps a couple of years ago, oh well. Anyway I will be posting a report in a few week after getting some time on it, but with the break-in from 0-500 miles at 4000 rpm, and then 500-1000 at 6,000 it will be a while before I can really see what this thing can do. Oh I got the first one in Western Washington. And its really taller than I expected, but that's what I was hoping for, I'm 6-1 and can't get both feet flat on the ground. Man new bikes are tall. Oh and if you don't know, here is another site for the KLX, and they even added a section for me, well the

KLX 250S Dual Sport

My Home http://www.forkswa.com/

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forumid_31/tt.htm

The break-in method you propose to use may be recommended by the manufacturer, but may not be the best to use....

see - Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power at the following link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

From what this says it could make a hugh difference in how your bike runs.

Cheers! :applause:

Agree about the break in period - the method recommended in the manual is a joke and impossible to follow - and will lead to the engine knocking all the time - I rung the neck of mine from day one. It got a bit looser with 800km on the clock. So give it as much as you please and forget the handbook!

so what you guys are saying is that the 06 klx250 that is coming to the states is sackless.... hmmm. depressing. i was hoping that it's motor would be close in performance to the wr250 or crf250x...

any idea on the klx250 horsepower rating with stock vs. standard mods ( carb & airbox )?

Based on what I know ... the klx250 & 300 share the same stroke. the 250 has a 72mm bore and the 300 has a 78mm bore. the stroke on both is 61.2mm. If you can't bore the 250 cylinder out to 78-80mm ... the 300 cylinder should fit. if you over bore it to 80mm and then give it a extra 5mm stroke ... that would put it out to a 358cc machine. That coupled with more compression should wake things up. I presently am doing stroker cranks for the XT225 and the DRZ400. I am interested in seeing what can be done with this engine. Hopefully some one will want to be the guienea pig and let me have a go at it.

What did you pay OTD. I went to pick one up last Tuesday . The sales guy tried to take me for a fool, So I walked. He said he had 6 other people waiting for it, and that he was going to get what he was asking. Drove by today and it was still there.